[Archivesspace_Users_Group] Use of "rights statements" module?

Michael Shallcross shallcro at umich.edu
Thu Jun 25 16:43:11 EDT 2015

Greetings, all; we've been exploring the rights statement module in ASpace
as part of our ASpace-Archivematica grant project and had some questions.
A lot of questions, to be more precise...

Is anyone currently using (or planning to use) rights statements associated
with archival objects and/or digital objects?

If yes to the above, would this be in conjunction with conditions governing
access/use statements?

We've been exploring the wonderful world of the Yale container plugin; the
ability to add start/end dates for restrictions and identify types of
restrictions encompasses some of the basic features of the rights
statements.

We've also been working with Artefactual Systems to explore how
Archivematica PREMIS rights information maps to the ASpace rights
statements.  It appears that the latter are 'PREMIS-like' but not really
PREMIS compliant...  which has brought us to kick around the idea that
PREMIS rights might be most appropriate to record in the Archivematica AIP
METS (and passed along to a repository) instead of trying to do some fancy
crosswalking into ASpace.

Any thoughts/ideas would be most gratefully appreciated.  Thanks!

Mike

--
*Michael Shallcross, CA*
*Lead Archivist for Curation*