[Archivesspace_Users_Group] proxy issue

Mang Sun mang.sun at rice.edu
Fri Jan 16 14:37:15 EST 2015

After not touching this issue for a while until yesterday, I re-picked
up this issue and spent some time combing through the code and now I
think the problem has been largely resolved. Actually, the directive
line of AppConfig[:frontend_proxy_url] = "https://ASurl" in config.rb
seemingly does not play the role as intended or I thought. Instead, it's
because  the Apache Proxy does not out of box forward the protocol (here
https) that was used by browser to access AS (AS does not talk to APACHE
in secured mode?) to the AS application.   In order to pick up and carry
this protocol info to AS, one new Apache directive line of  '
RequestHeader set X-Forwarded-Proto "https" '
  is added to the Apache secured virtual host configuration and brings
it into looking similar to the below.
###
<VirtualHost *:443>
RequestHeader set X-Forwarded-Proto "https"
ProxyPreserveHost On
ProxyPass / http://AShostname:8080/
ProxyPassReverse / http://AShostname:8080/
ServerName AShostname