[Archivesspace_Users_Group] Google Group Shutdown

Chela Scott Weber chela.weber at nyu.edu
Wed Feb 25 22:31:58 EST 2015

Hi all,

Since Chris's original message was sent to both the Lyrasis list and the
Google Group list, I'm copying both lists here. I thought folks not on
Google list would like to know that there is quite a bit of conversation
going on there about this shut-down:
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/archivesspace/-JiVumrBg5A.

I realize that these closed lists for membership are a part of the ASpace
sustainability model. But I think this model also has to be carefully
balanced with openness to the broader user and developer community who are
not currently, for whatever reason, official members. In the immediate
term, I think shutting down this list entirely, rather than transferring
administrative responsibility to a member of the community, is a missed
opportunity for both communication and engagement the broad and emerging
Aspace community. In the near term, I think Tom Cramer's suggestion of a
re-evaluation of assumptions around limiting communication channels is also
of critical importance.

Thanks,
Chela

On Wed, Feb 25, 2015 at 7:24 AM, Chris Fitzpatrick <
Chris.Fitzpatrick at lyrasis.org> wrote:

>  Hi everyone,
>

>  We've been told to close this Google group and direct people to send
> ArchivesSpace emails to the
> archivesspace_users_group at lyralists.lyrasis.org
>
> mailing list.
>

>  After March 1st, this group will be "read-only" in order to preserve
> past communications.
>

>  Let us know if you have any questions. Thanks!
>

>  best, chris.
>

>   Chris Fitzpatrick | Developer, ArchivesSpace
> Skype: chrisfitzpat  | Phone: 918.236.6048
> http://archivesspace.org/

Chela Scott Weber
Head, Archival Collections Management
New York University Libraries