[Archivesspace_Users_Group] repositories with same agent ?

Steven Majewski sdm7g at virginia.edu
Tue Feb 17 16:14:11 EST 2015

I’m trying to create a 2nd repository with the same contact/agent info as the first.

First repo created by  posting this json to http://localhost:8089/repositories/with_agent :

{
   "repository" : {
      "country" : "US",
      "repo_code" : "uva-sc",
      "name" : "University of Virginia, Special Collections Dept.",
      "contact_persons" : "",
      "description" : "University of Virginia, Special Collections Dept. Virginia Heritage Archivesspace repo",
      "parent_institution_name" : "University of Virginia, Special Collections Dept.",
      "url" : "http://www.lib.virginia.edu/small",
      "image_url" : "http://ead.lib.virginia.edu/vivaead/logos/uva-sc.jpg",
      "org_code" : "ViU"
   },
   "agent_representation" : {
      "agent_contacts" : [
         {
            "country" : "United States",
            "telephone" : "Phone: (434) 243-1776",
            "address_3" : "University of Virginia",
            "region" : "Virginia",
            "name" : "University of Virginia, Special Collections Dept.",
            "post_code" : "22904-4110",
            "note" : "(generated from contact xml files and POSTed to AS via curl.)",
            "address_2" : "P.O. Box 400110",
            "address_1" : "Albert and Shirley Small Special Collections Library",
            "email" : "",
            "email_signature" : "",
            "city" : "Charlottesville",
            "fax" : "Fax: (434) 924-4968",
            "telephone_ext" : ""
         }
      ],
      "names" : [
         {
            "source" : "local",
            "primary_name" : "University of Virginia, Special Collections Dept.",
            "sort_name" : "uva-sc"
         }
      ]
   }
}

If I try changing the repo_code and submitting again to /repositories/with_agent, I get:

		{"error":{"names":["Agent must be unique"]}}

However, If I try using the existing agent reference URI instead, posting to either /repostories or /repositories/with_agent
I get a 2nd repo created, with a different agent URI from the one I posted being created, and no contact information.

If I change the primary and sort names as well, I can create a new repo, with a new agent, but if I then try to merge the
agents, I get a “something went wrong” message and the merge fails.

Is there a better way to do this, or is what I’m trying to do impossible in this model ?

I was thinking we could use different repositories to manage different workflows, with access rights set for
different work groups, and then move them all to another repo when processing and QA complete and ready to publish.

We may be able to live with differently named agents as long as they all have the same contact info, but I would
prefer not to have to edit and maintain the same info in multiple places.

— Steve Majewski / UVA Alderman Library