[Archivesspace_Users_Group] Agents with topical (or other) subdivisions in ASpace

Matthew J Gorzalski mGorzalski at lib.siu.edu
Tue Aug 11 16:20:53 EDT 2015

Are you an Archon user?  We have related agent problems coming from Archon to ASpace.  Our test migrations show that any collection that has a corporate/personal name as both the creator and as a subject will migrate BOTH into ASpace under the agent field with NO distinction between creator and subject.  Our example is an artificial collection called Morris Library Photograph Collection where Morris Library is both creator and subject.  In Archon you can clearly distinguish between these two roles because Creators and Subjects are separate sections.  But in ArchivesSpace they are both lumped into Agents and given that generic non-descript person icon.  So it is confusing for researchers to see two Morris Library entries under Agents because their roles are not distinguished.  This same public interface design flaw works the same for any collection using a name as subject and creator.

Mat Gorzalski
SIU Carbondale