[Archivesspace_Users_Group] Fwd: [archivesspace] <title><emph render="italic">

Prom, Christopher John prom at illinois.edu
Wed Oct 15 12:56:27 EDT 2014

I’d like to ask that the techical and user groups look at issues relate to the wrap in tag editor seriously as part of planning future work, not as a one off focusing on specific bugs, but on the assumption that we should review alternatives for the core architecture.

I have always been skeptical of having a purpose built editor for this editing and storing EAD or formatting in the DB.  Using the wrap-in-tage feature is very difficult in our staff testing, and there seem to be a huge number of support requests which is taking time away from more important (IMHO) issues.

As a design consideration, open source WYSIWYG editors such as ckeditor seem like a much a better way to accomplish what users want to accomplish.   We would also benefit from a broader community that has already hashed out most of the difficult design issues for formatting markup, and we could extend this library in other ways, for example to include the sematic markup in a more usable interface than the wrap in tag editor.

http://ckeditor.com/

I am not saying this is the ‘solution’ the problem, but it does seem to me that something is fundamentally broken at an architecture level here, and we should evaluate alternate strategies, given the large number or bugs and feature requests related to wrap-in-tag editor.

Chris Prom

Begin forwarded message: