[Archivesspace_Users_Group] Question about adding digital material inforamation in ArchivesSpace

Kari R Smith smithkr at mit.edu
Tue Oct 14 13:21:17 EDT 2014

Hello collective wisdom of digital archivists using ArchivesSpace.

As we are assessing how we will use ArchivesSpace we are considering ways to denote the digital material in our collections.  I see two, maybe three ways forward.  I'll list them here and I would love to hear your responses and learn from what others have already tried.

One.  For things that are actually digital objects like a completely digital book, an access copy PDF of some material, etc. I plan to use the Digital Object module.  This would be a call out to specific items within collections (Resources).  They may be linked to an access system that provides ready access or they may point to a local server from which reference staff can select a copy to make available locally.  [This is an option that I plan to implement - basically looking for other thoughts on this but not to get rid of this.]

Two.  For bulk digital material, I'd like to use an Instance that is a bucket for undistinguished, aggregate digital material.  The difference here is that they are not discrete by title or individual object.  We're thinking about using the Instance to add this into the Finding Aid [Faculty Policy Committee, Meeting Minutes, 2013-2014. Digital.]

Three.  In addition to #2, I'm thinking about adding a Digital Object for the AIP that is created for the aggregate material and would like to link this DO (because it allows for the extra metadata I want to capture in AS) to the Instance.

If you have done this or are currently modeling how to do this, please let me know.

Thanks!

Kari R. Smith, Digital Archivist
MIT Libraries, Institute Archives and Special Collections
617-258-5568  |   smithkr (at) mit.edu
http://libraries.mit.edu/archives/