[Archivesspace_Users_Group] Archon to A Space migration issue

Matthew J Gorzalski mGorzalski at lib.siu.edu
Wed Jul 23 10:42:51 EDT 2014

We're having trouble with getting our finding aids to migrate to the correct location in the classification manager.  The collections migrate to AS without data loss, and you can access them in AS via search or the Collections tab.  But you cannot access them via the Classifications tab in ArchivesSpace because they do not migrate properly.  In Archon our Classifications are as follows:

1                     Manuscripts

a.       Twentieth Century American and British Literature

b.      American Philosophy

c.       Theatre

d.      Irish Studies

e.       First Amendment Freedoms

f.       Southern Illinois History and Culture

g.      World Wars letters

h.      Vertical File Manuscripts

2                     Photographs

a.       Manuscript Collection Photographs

b.      University Archives Photographs

c.       Political Papers Photographs

3                     University Archives

a.       (lists all record groups)

4                     Political Papers

a.       Elected officials

b.      Organized labor

c.       Grassroots organizations

d.      Political appointees

e.       Governmental organizations

5                     Rare Books

All of these Classifications and sub-classification shells migrate to ArchivesSpace but only University Archives collections can be accessed via the Classifications tab.  The collections for the other categories do not link-up, even though all collections are designated with the proper classification and sub classification.

Also, University Archives record groups (classifications) do not appear in perfect numerical order.  We've tweaked it a little and improved the order, but it still isn't perfect.  Is the order based on date of creation?  A few months ago I created Record Group 32 which appears last post-migration, despite appearing in number order in Archon.

Thanks!

MATT GORZALSKI
University Archivist

MORRIS LIBRARY