[Archivesspace_Users_Group] Fwd: Georgia Tech Archives and ArchivesSpace

Christine Di Bella christine.dibella at lyrasis.org
Tue Dec 9 16:33:56 EST 2014

Forwarded on behalf of Jody Thompson.

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Thompson, Jody A" <jody.thompson at library.gatech.edu<mailto:jody.thompson at library.gatech.edu>>
Date: December 9, 2014, 4:27:16 PM EST
To: <GAASPACE at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU<mailto:GAASPACE at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>>, <archivesspace_users_group-bounces at lyralists.lyrasis.org<mailto:archivesspace_users_group-bounces at lyralists.lyrasis.org>>
Subject: Georgia Tech Archives and ArchivesSpace

Hello. In ArchivesSpace's current state, the Georgia Tech Archives will not be adopting it in 2014. We have tested and evaluated ArchivesSpace and feel it lacks the following:

-barcode and batch location control functionality is not robust enough yet in ASpace to support our collection move
-functionality to manage digital objects in bulk without sys admin privileges is not robust enough yet to support our digital archives and repository work
-admin and public UI are still confusing for staff (extremely nested structure of information, use of jargon in labels, etc.) and will be too confusing for researchers

We will move to a high density storage facility in 2015, we must go with a system that can properly handle barcodes/batch function, and so for the meantime, we will continue to use Archivists' Toolkit.

We look forward to learning about ASpace improvements and hope to adopt it in late 2015.

Thank you,
Jody Thompson

--
Jody Lloyd Thompson
Head, Archives and Records Management Dept.