[Archivesspace_Users_Group] Fwd: Normalizing Single "Inclusive Dates"

Jaime Margalotti jmargalo at udel.edu
Mon Aug 4 10:53:57 EDT 2014

I sent the message below a few weeks ago and did not receive any
thinking about it again.  I realize that ArchivesSpace is built around
EAD2002 and it will be a while before EAD3 happens, but it doesn't hurt to
be proactive and the question is still valid if EAD3 is entirely ignored.

As I understand it, EAD3 will still have <unitdate> and it will be quite
similar to the one we're already using.  EAD3 will also have the option of
using <unitdatestructured> instead.  Both will still only have the possible
values for the @unitdatetype of "bulk" or "inclusive." However,
<unitdatestructured> will offer more granularity and have as its possible

A normalized <datesingle> would looke like:

<unitdatestructured unitdatetype="inclusive">
<datesingle standarddate="1955-08-25">1955 August 25</datesingle>
</unitdatestructured>

A normalized <daterange> would look like:

<unitdatestructured unitdatetype="inclusive"><daterange><fromdate
standarddate="1950-08-01">1950 August 1</fromdate><todate
standarddate="1955-09-25">1955 September 25</todate>
</daterange>
</unitdatestructured">

Getting back to my original issue (please see message below) ... EAD3 is
allowing you to have a <unitdatestructured> with the @unitdatetype of
"inclusive" *AND* a child tagged as <datesingle>, but ArchivesSpace is set
up in a way that is forcing you to choose to define a <unitdate> as
"inclusive" *OR* "single." Since EAD2002 removed the "single" value from
the  "type" "attribute, "single" dates have always been defined as
"inclusive."

With this in mind, is there a preferred way for me to encode single dates
in the current EAD2002-centric ArchivesSpace that is less likely to cause
problems going forward?  We have an enormous (and set to grow) number of
small/single item collections with single dates, so this is important for
me to get right.

Many Thanks!
Jaime