[Archivesspace_uac] ArchivesSpace Update - September 2022

Jessica Crouch Jessica.Crouch at lyrasis.org
Fri Sep 30 09:37:25 EDT 2022

   [cid:image001.jpg at 01D8A330.1E6801C0]

ArchivesSpace Update – September 2022

Upcoming Schedule at a Glance:

November 9: Using Data Import, Export, and Report Functionality in ArchivesSpace Training

Announcing the availability of the ArchivesSpace 2021/2022 Annual Report

The ArchivesSpace team is pleased to share the ArchivesSpace annual report covering the 2021/2022 membership term.

The report highlights some major themes of our activities, both in the last year and always. Thanks for all you’ve done and do to sustain and move the application and the community forward.

We encourage you to share this annual report with others at your institutions and anyone else with an interest in ArchivesSpace. We hope that it may be especially helpful in conveying the value of ArchivesSpace, and the value of ArchivesSpace membership, to resource allocators and other decision makers at your institutions.

You can access the annual report at https://archivesspace.org/archives/7612

We welcome feedback and ideas on this or future annual reports. Please feel free to email us at ArchivesSpaceHome at lyrasis.org at any point.

Development

ArchivesSpace is announcing the availability of v3.3.0. You can download it at https://github.com/archivesspace/archivesspace/releases/tag/v3.3.0.

This release includes many small bug fixes and feature enhancements, including some enhancements to spawning from accessions and an option for logged in users to change their own passwords. As part of the spawning improvements, the plugin Hudson Molonglo developed for The New School Archives and Special Collections<https://github.com/hudmol/as_accession_links> to link accessions to archival objects has been incorporated into the core code of ArchivesSpace.

Thanks to all of the community members who contributed code for this release: Andrew Morrison, Corey Schmidt, Greg Wiedeman, Jacob Shelby, James Bullen, Jason Jordan, Joshua Shaw, Lora Woodford, Mark Triggs, and Michael Glanznig. As always, program team members Brian Hoffman, Don Smith, and Mark Cooper, as well as contractors Manny Rodriguez, Brian Zelip, and Don Richards, wrote and/or reviewed substantial code for the release. Thanks also to our community groups, especially the Testing sub-team, for their efforts.

More information about what’s in the release and the link to download it are at https://github.com/archivesspace/archivesspace/releases/tag/v3.3.0. Information on upgrading to a new version of ArchivesSpace is available at https://archivesspace.github.io/tech-docs/administration/upgrading.html.

This is the release from the roadmap<https://archivesspace.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/ADC/pages/2634973195/Roadmap+as+of+January+2022> that was originally projected for May. Due to staffing changes we are currently putting together the updated roadmap and projections for releases for the rest of 2022 and calendar year 2023. More information will be available soon.

Thanks as always for your support. If you have questions or need any assistance in upgrading, please let us know.

Welcome ArchivesSpace’s new Front-End Developer, Brian Zelip

ArchivesSpace is excited to announce that Brian Zelip will be joining ArchivesSpace as the Front-End Developer.

Brian has been working with ArchivesSpace as a part-time contractor since January 2020 and has contributed a number of pull requests to improve the staff and public interfaces, particularly as it relates to javascript. As a librarian rooted in cultural heritage work and committed to open source, Brian has shown himself to be a user-oriented developer and we are excited to have him join the ArchivesSpace team full time.

Brian’s previous positions include Assistant Director and Emerging Technologies Librarian at the University of Maryland Health Sciences and Human Services Library.

This is a new position approved by our governance board designed to help augment our team and increase our ability to be responsive to requests to improve the usability and accessibility of the interfaces.

Brian will officially join the ArchivesSpace team on October 17th.

Please join us in welcoming Brian Zelip to his new role in LYRASIS and the ArchivesSpace community!

Training Announcement: Using Data Import, Export, and Report Functionality in ArchivesSpace

ArchivesSpace will be offering our next community-wide training on November 9, 2022, from 12pm-3pm ET/9am-12pm PT.  This training will cover import, export and report functionality in ArchivesSpace.

At the end of this session, participants will:

  *   Understand the data import options available within the ArchivesSpace staff user interface and how to access import templates
  *   Know how to import new data into ArchivesSpace using the staff user interface
  *   Know how to use data import functionality in the staff user interface for legacy data clean-up
  *   Understand the data export options available within the ArchivesSpace staff user interface
  *   Understand how to create custom report templates within ArchivesSpace
  *   Understand how to run out-of-the-box and custom reports within ArchivesSpace

This training assumes a basic understanding of archival workflows and metadata formats as well as experience navigating the staff user interface.  If you plan to attend this workshop without the required background, we encourage you to review the recorded ArchivesSpace basics training available on our Getting Started webpage<https://archivesspace.org/using-archivesspace/getting-started>.

If you are interested in attending this training, you can register at https://www.lyrasis.org/ASpaceEvent.

This training is open to anyone using or interested in ArchivesSpace but ArchivesSpace members are eligible for a discount.  If you qualify for the member discount, you will need to reach out to ArchivesSpaceHome at lyrasis.org to receive a member promo code before registering.

ArchivesSpace 8th Annual Member Forum

Thank you to everyone who attended the 8th Annual ArchivesSpace Member Forum. Recordings from the August 24 in-person forum and August 30-31 virtual trainings are now available on the forum wiki<https://archivesspace.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/ADC/pages/3128066258/ArchivesSpace+Member+Forum+2022>.

Thank you again to those who could be with us.  We look forward to seeing you again soon!

Recording for ArchivesSpace Train-the-Trainer for Archival Educators now available

On September 13 we offered a special training session for archival educators that provided an overview of the ArchivesSpace application as it relates to archival functions commonly taught in intro and more advanced archives coursework. The session also included information on our free ArchivesSpace Educational Program membership<https://archivesspace.org/community/educational-program-membership>. The recording of the session<https://youtu.be/Bn4Rg7uukjY> is now available. We hope to offer additional sessions specifically for educators as they teach their students archives fundamentals and prepare them for life after graduation.

Integrations Survey now OPEN
[posted on behalf of the Integrations sub-team of the Technical Advisory Council (TAC)]

You are invited to partake in a NEW online survey starting August 24th, in conjunction with the 2022 ArchivesSpace Member Forum. It will remain open until November 30th.

Click here to complete the 2022 Integrations Survey<https://forms.gle/Jdoe37UeoxmG5Epx9>.

The survey's intended purpose is to gather updated and new information about known and available integrations with ArchivesSpace and provide a centralized listing which will include the intended purpose(s), links to resources and other information, when available. The Integrations sub-team plans to launch this survey on an annual or biennial basis to ensure the information is up to date.

Users, administrators, and developers are encouraged to participate. You do not need to be a member institution to complete this survey. If you filled out a previous survey a few years ago, please do not hesitate to participate as your information may have changed and this is a newly designed survey.

Data collected will be compiled and made available on the Integrations Confluence pages, which are publicly accessible. Updates to the pages are ongoing and some content may still change.

*If you are providing information about an integration, please note you will be asked for links to user and technical documentation (if publicly available), developer sites, and/or contact information. You may want to gather that information before starting this survey.

Your participation will help the greater community and is highly anticipated and appreciated. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to reach out by emailing ArchivesSpaceHome at lyrasis.org<http://ArchivesSpaceHome@lyrasis.org> with the subject heading, “2022 Integrations Survey”.

Thank you for your consideration of this matter.

Integrations, TAC

Membership Update

We are excited to welcome our newest members to our community! Our new members since August 31 include:

  *   Institute for Studies on Latin American Art, (New York, NY)
  *   The Kitchen, (New York, NY)

As of September 30, we have 466 General members, 15 Educational Program members, and 3 Registered Service Providers. If you are interested in your institution becoming a member of ArchivesSpace, please email us at ArchivesSpaceHome at lyrasis.org<mailto:ArchivesSpaceHome at lyrasis.org> for more information.

ArchivesSpace monthly updates provide news about ArchivesSpace community and program activities and are sent to our member listservs, the ArchivesSpace Google Group, and SAA’s Collection Management Section listserv, as well as being posted on the ArchivesSpace website. Please feel free to share this update with people you know who have an interest in ArchivesSpace but may not be on one of these lists.
Jessica Dowd Crouch
Community Engagement Coordinator for ArchivesSpace
jessica.crouch at lyrasis.org<mailto:jessica.crouch at lyrasis.org>
[page1image482511520]