[Archivesspace_uac] announcing the ArchivesSpace Diversity Partnership cohort

Christine Di Bella christine.dibella at lyrasis.org
Thu May 13 09:50:20 EDT 2021

Hello ArchivesSpace members,

I am delighted to announce our inaugural cohort for the ArchivesSpace Diversity Partnership, a new program designed to offer support for implementing the ArchivesSpace application to institutions that are themselves or primarily serve communities currently underrepresented in the ArchivesSpace community. The five institutions are:

Black Cultural Archives - a unique community archive based in the heart of Brixton, South London, that was established in 1981 to collect contemporary records of Black communities and seeks to transform the understanding of local, national and global Black history.

Detroit Sound Conservancy - deliberately rooted in and informed by Detroit's community activism, a community-based archive that tells Detroit's story through the experiences of its musical people.

Spelman College - a liberal arts college in Atlanta that is one of the only two remaining HBCUs founded to educate women of the African diaspora. In addition to being the official college repository, the Archives also documents women of the African Diaspora broadly, and houses the Audre Lorde and Toni Cade Bambara papers.

Weeksville Heritage Center - a historic site, house museum, and cultural center in Brooklyn, New York, whose mission is to use education, the arts and a social justice lens to preserve, document and inspire engagement with the history of Weeksville, one of the largest free Black communities in pre-Civil War America.

Xavier University of Louisiana - the only Catholic HBCU in the country, with historic collections that focus on Black history, New Orleans and Louisiana history, Black Catholics, and the Gulf Coast region, in addition to XULA institutional history.

We were fortunate to receive many strong applications, from a fascinating group of archives and collecting institutions, which provided our review team with quite a challenge when putting together this relatively small cohort. I'd like to thank review team members Audra Eagle Yun of UC Irvine, Skyla Hearn of Cook County Historic Archives and Records Office, Lizeth Ramírez of UCLA, and Brittany Newberry of Robert W. Woodruff Library, Atlanta University Center (who chaired the group), along with ArchivesSpace Community Engagement Coordinator Jessica Crouch, for all their hard work.

We are excited to have such excellent partners in this new endeavor. These institutions will join our member community officially on July 1, but we are already working with them to make sure they have what they need to get started with the application and the community. Please join me in welcoming them to ArchivesSpace!

All best,
Christine

Christine Di Bella
ArchivesSpace Program Manager