[Archivesspace_uac] ArchivesSpace Update - January 2021

Jessica Crouch Jessica.Crouch at lyrasis.org
Fri Jan 29 12:01:06 EST 2021

[cid:image001.jpg at 01D6F636.6C977360]

Development

Thank you all for your patience as we finalize the ArchivesSpace v3.0 release candidate.  In anticipation of this release, we recommend reviewing the recording of our recent webinar about the expanded agent module functionality that is the exclusive focus of this update. While the required fields to create a valid agent record will remain minimal, the expanded agents functionality will allow for greater compliance with metadata standards used to describe persons, families, and corporate entities like MARCXML authority and EAC-CPF, facilitate better exchange with databases like LCNAF and SNAC and support better contextualization of agents by providing more ways to apply controlled access headings or information about the agent and their relationships.  A recording of the webinar as well as a link to a test instance where you can try out the new functionality is available at https://archivesspace.org/archives/6660.

Announcing the ArchivesSpace Diversity Partnership

In the wake of the George Floyd and Breonna Taylor murders, and in the spirit of protest that followed, the ArchivesSpace community has been working on a series of initiatives<https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Farchivesspace.atlassian.net%2Fwiki%2Fspaces%2FADC%2Fpages%2F1737490437%2FAnti-racism%2Band%2BInclusion%2BInitiatives%2BProgress&data=04%7C01%7Clgoodley%40txstate.edu%7C71b5896606cf4609158408d8c2d32b1c%7Cb19c134a14c94d4caf65c420f94c8cbb%7C0%7C0%7C637473559519816843%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C1000&sdata=Jb87GWrx4%2F2%2BmBSAPrtwmAEM%2BTQvy409%2FL59mABs8v0%3D&reserved=0> that we will undertake in the coming years to promote diversity and inclusion while combating systemic racism in our field. We are pleased to now announce the launch of one of these initiatives, the ArchivesSpace Diversity Partnership.

The ArchivesSpace Diversity Partnership is a new program that offers support for implementing the ArchivesSpace application to institutions that are themselves or primarily serve communities underrepresented in the ArchivesSpace community. Participating organizations will receive, at no cost to them, ArchivesSpace membership, hosting with a Registered Service Provider, training, and user and technical support for the duration of a three-year term.

Eligible organizations include:

  *   academic Minority-Serving Institutions such as Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCUs), Hispanic Serving Institutions (HSIs), and Tribal Colleges and Universities
  *   non-profit or community archives primarily run by or serving BIPOC (Black, Indigenous, and People of Color)
  *   tribal archives

This program will launch with a small cohort of institutions on July 1, 2021. The three-year term will conclude on June 30, 2024.

More information about the ArchivesSpace Diversity Partnership, including information about how to apply, is available at https://archivesspace.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/ADC/pages/2049998863/ArchivesSpace+Diversity+Partnership. We're hosting an informational webinar (described below) and members of the planning group are happy to talk about the program at any time - please contact us at ArchivesSpaceHome at lyrasis.org<mailto:ArchivesSpaceHome at lyrasis.org>. Potential applicants who are interested in the experience of using ArchivesSpace at an underrepresented institution can contact Brittany Newberry (bnewberry at auctr.edu<mailto:bnewberry at auctr.edu>). She is happy to talk about Atlanta University Center’s experience implementing ArchivesSpace as an HBCU.

Webinar Announcement: ArchivesSpace Diversity Partnership Informational Webinar

The ArchivesSpace Diversity Partnership is a new program that offers support for implementing the ArchivesSpace application to institutions that are themselves or primarily serve communities underrepresented in the ArchivesSpace community. Participating organizations will receive, at no cost to them, ArchivesSpace membership, hosting with a Registered Service Provider, training, and user and technical support for the duration of a three-year term.

In this webinar, members of the ArchivesSpace Diversity Partnership planning team will discuss the program and answer questions from potential applicants and others interested in the program.

This webinar will be recorded and made available on the ArchivesSpace YouTube channel.

When: February 10, 2021

Time: 2:00 p.m. – 3:00 p.m. ET (11:00 a.m. – 12:00pm PT)

Where: Zoom

Registration: https://lyrasis.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_Esz2CPatRWmDlRNqMeWlIA

In order to provide a secure webinar experience and ensure adequate space in our Zoom environment, registration is now required for our webinars.  Our webinars continue to be free and open to anyone using or interested in ArchivesSpace.

Who should attend:

Anyone interested in the ArchivesSpace Diversity Partnership or who has questions about the application process.

Call for Speakers for the 3rd Annual ArchivesSpace Online Forum

Mark your calendars for our third annual Online Forum!

Taking place March 29-31, 2021, our online forum will be a three-day event spanning a variety of time zones and ArchivesSpace experience levels. A full schedule and information about how to register for the event will be released closer to March. Anyone who uses ArchivesSpace or is interested in ArchivesSpace is welcome to attend.

We are now accepting both session proposals and ideas for topics via our online form at https://forms.gle/dvukC8Y6a2evvswv8<https://nam11.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fforms.gle%2FdvukC8Y6a2evvswv8&data=04%7C01%7Cesomach%40mdhistory.org%7Cd6de33fe9f924adb115f08d8bd50096d%7Ccfee3d6d000a41a586e16f94cd57590d%7C0%7C0%7C637467498758213875%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C1000&sdata=2WcqzKuNE%2Bcvi3q2JT%2FTWTtbhKFIXgjv2y7DMivyNzo%3D&reserved=0>. We will be reviewing proposals on a rolling basis, so we encourage you to get your proposals in early.  Submissions will be closed on March 5, 2021, with final notification from the planning team by March 17, 2021.

As in years past, our Online Forum will include a mix of opportunities to share and learn from each other about many different aspects of ArchivesSpace and all submissions are welcome.  The ArchivesSpace program team is particularly interested in presentations or workshops related to the following topics:

  *   Using ArchivesSpace in a work from home environment
  *   Using ArchivesSpace as a long arranger or at a small archive
  *   Managing paraprofessionals, students and volunteers using ArchivesSpace
  *   Demonstrations of workflows using different modules or features of the application
  *   Examples of anti-racism, anti-colonialism and redescription work being executed in ArchivesSpace
  *   Presentations related to the technical aspects of ArchivesSpace, including how to download a local instance of ArchivesSpace for either testing or production, understanding and managing the ArchivesSpace database, and using the API.

We anticipate recording many parts of the forum, but for it to be a success we will also need as many live participants as possible. We encourage you to dip in and out of the live program as much as you can. You will no doubt “meet” a different set of colleagues each time.

A special thanks to our Online Forum planning group for the tremendous work they’re doing to plan this forum. We’re looking forward to a great event, with your help!

A Message from the ArchivesSpace Usability Sub-team

The Usability sub-team of the ArchivesSpace User Advisory Council develops functional and practical recommendations to the program to streamline navigation, clarify the visual layout, identify accessibility improvements, and enhance the ease of use of the staff and public interface of the ArchivesSpace application. We have prepared a brief list of issues submitted by users to JIRA, the ArchivesSpace development catalog, that we are seeking community feedback on. Your feedback will help guide our efforts, so we appreciate your input.

To leave feedback on an issue, please comment on the ticket related to the issue linked below.  If you prefer, you can also indicate your interest by clicking the ‘thumbs up’ icon at the top right of the page.

(Reminder: If you need to create an Atlassian account to comment/vote on tickets or to access the ArchivesSpace Help Center, you can sign up here<https://id.atlassian.com/signup>.)

Issue: Warning before creating duplicate top containers<https://archivesspace.atlassian.net/browse/ANW-1045>

Feedback sought: Do you want the ability to have a warning before creating a duplicate top container?

Issue: Making the component unique identifier more relevant<https://archivesspace.atlassian.net/browse/ANW-780>

Feedback sought: How do you use the component unique identifier (CUI)? Could it be better adapted to your needs?

Issue: Enhance repository processing note capabilities <https://archivesspace.atlassian.net/browse/ANW-1062>

Feedback sought: Should repository processing notes be importable/exportable?

Thank you for your feedback and consideration!

Membership Update

We are excited to welcome our newest members to our community! Our new members since December 30 include:

  *   Dallas Museum of Art Archives (Dallas, TX)
  *   Gilcrease Museum (Tulsa, OK)
  *   Hagerstown Community College (Hagerstown, MD)
  *   Rhodes College (Memphis, TN)

As of January 29, we have 418 General members, 21 Educational Program members, and 3 Registered Service Providers. If you are interested in your institution becoming a member of ArchivesSpace, please email us at ArchivesSpaceHome at lyrasis.org<mailto:ArchivesSpaceHome at lyrasis.org> for more information.

ArchivesSpace monthly updates provide news about ArchivesSpace community and program activities and are sent to our member listservs, the ArchivesSpace Google Group, and SAA’s Collection Management Section listserv, as well as being posted on the ArchivesSpace website. Please feel free to share this update with people you know who have an interest in ArchivesSpace but may not be on one of these lists.

Jessica Dowd Crouch
Community Engagement Coordinator for ArchivesSpace
jessica.crouch at lyrasis.org<mailto:jessica.crouch at lyrasis.org>
[page1image482511520]