[Archivesspace_uac] ArchivesSpace 3rd Quarter Board Update

Nicholas Zmijewski zmijewski at industrialarchives.org
Thu Feb 25 08:46:36 EST 2021

Dear ArchivesSpace members,
I am writing to report on the ArchivesSpace Governance Board 3rd Quarter meeting, which was held virtually on February 18th.
We reviewed the continued excellent work of the Technical and User Advisory Councils and thank the members for their dedicated participation. Leaders in TAC and UAC recently met to discuss ways to continue to strengthen processes, improve understanding of responsibilities, and support leaders in their roles.
Nominating Committee Chair Gordon Daines reported on the committee's work. The committee held its orientation meeting. The board approved Board Position Descriptions which can help clarify roles and responsibilities for those interested in serving on the board. A call for nominations will go out soon and will include an opportunity for nominees to explain how they will contribute to and support diversity in the ArchivesSpace Community.
The operations update highlighted work on the Diversity Partnership. The informational webinar was well attended and we are already receiving applications from interested institutions.
The Board continued its conversations about DEIA and strengthening diversity, equity, inclusion, and accessibility in ArchivesSpace. Beginning with this meeting individual Board members are presenting about initiatives and experiences from their own institutions and other efforts in which they are involved.
We reviewed the changes in ArchivesSpace staffing. We are delighted that Brian Hoffman, the new Technical Lead, is starting on March 1. We discussed that Mark Cooper will continue providing some additional development for ArchivesSpace on a pilot basis. We will reexamine this arrangement at the end of the fiscal year.
I am very happy to report that the ArchivesSpace membership continues to be strong, even in the face of the challenging circumstances of the last year.
The Board extends thanks to all of you for your continuing support and ongoing contributions to the community we have all created. We welcome your communications and comments at any time.
Yours,
Nick Zmijewski
Chair