[Archivesspace_uac] ArchivesSpace Update - December 2021

Jessica Crouch Jessica.Crouch at lyrasis.org
Mon Dec 20 12:25:46 EST 2021

  [cid:image001.jpg at 01D7F59C.B64382E0]

Development

We are in the final stages of development and testing for version 3.2.0. Barring surprises we expect to put out the release candidate for 3.2.0 in the first few weeks of 2022. Version 3.2.0 will mark the transition to external Solr. It will also include some new features like custom reports and small improvements to the spreadsheet importers, as well as various bug fixes. More information will be provided at the time of the release candidate.

Log4J Vulnerability

Like many of you, we’ve been following the widespread reports about the Log4j security vulnerability that has been impacting many software applications. We don’t expect this vulnerability to be a problem for ArchivesSpace since ArchivesSpace does not use Log4j for logging.

An ArchivesSpace package does include two gems, ladle and mizuno, that use an older version of log4j that predates the vulnerability that has been so widely publicized and discussed. These are used only in development mode, and not of concern for those running ArchivesSpace in production mode. In future distributions we will look at removing these so there isn’t any confusion or perceived risk.

Solr is impacted independently of ArchivesSpace. Those using external Solr will want to follow Solr’s recommendations for addressing the vulnerability (https://solr.apache.org/security.html#apache-solr-affected-by-apache-log4j-cve-2021-44228). Because the version of ArchivesSpace’s embedded Solr predates this vulnerability, it should not be a problem for people running ArchivesSpace without external Solr.

Running external Solr with ArchivesSpace screencast now available

Due to necessary upgrades<https://archivesspace.org/archives/7135> that require moving to external deployment of Solr for the application, ArchivesSpace will require installing and configuring Solr with v3.2.0.  This change will not affect end users directly, but it will be a significant change for system administrators and others who deploy and manage ArchivesSpace.

ArchivesSpace offered a webinar<https://archivesspace.org/archives/7151> and has updated our technical documentation<https://archivesspace.github.io/tech-docs/provisioning/solr.html> in anticipation of this change.  We also now have a short screencast<https://youtu.be/1KbD0M_XfqI> available that walks those responsible for installing and configuring Solr though the process.

ArchivesSpace Trainers Corps “Office Hour”

The fourth ArchivesSpace Trainers Corps “Office Hour” will be Monday, January 24th at 2:00p.m. ET/11:00a.m. PT. In these office hours, members of the ArchivesSpace Trainers Corps will demo a task or tool frequently used by ArchivesSpace users and take questions related to the demo and topic.

For this open call, the Trainers Corps will briefly demo the new custom reports functionality available as of ArchivesSpace v3.2.0, which is scheduled for release in January 2022.  Following the presentation, you will have the opportunity to ask questions about the topic, followed by a general Q&A about generating reports in ArchivesSpace.