[Archivesspace_uac] ArchivesSpace Update - May 2020

Jessica Crouch Jessica.Crouch at lyrasis.org
Fri May 29 15:23:22 EDT 2020

 [cid:image001.jpg at 01D635CD.16ACF5D0]

Development

We're getting close to putting the final touches on the next release of ArchivesSpace and expect to have a release candidate ready very soon. New features for the next release include merging top containers, importing archival objects from spreadsheets, additional browse and search preferences for the staff interface, additional information in the background jobs area, and some small improvements to search for the public interface, among others. It will also have some accessibility improvements, performance improvements, and bug fixes.

Membership Renewals

ArchivesSpace is developed by and for the community that uses it, and strengthened by services and activities that support our community and connect us to one another. As we get close to the end of another membership year, we want to give a special thanks to all of the institutions that have joined us as members. ArchivesSpace membership is our primary source of revenue and informs and sustains every aspect of the program, including software development, support and engagement. Thanks for all that your support makes possible.

ArchivesSpace membership renewals have been sent to all current members for 2020/2021. If you have any questions or if you have not received your invoice, please let us know. We look forward to another year working together.

The ArchivesSpace Annual Member Forum is going virtual!

As you may have heard, the Society of American Archivists (SAA) annual conference will be virtual this year.  This means the Annual Member Forum we hold in conjunction with SAA will also be offered virtually.

The Annual Member Forum is a chance each year for ArchivesSpace members to come together to highlight the work they are doing in ArchivesSpace, show off new plugins or tools they’ve developed and attend workshops and trainings on a variety of topics.  Our goal is to offer similar content and opportunities to come together in a virtual environment this year.   We are still waiting to learn more about SAA’s plans for their virtual conference, but we ask that you hold the dates of August 3-8.

Thank you for attending the Second Annual ArchivesSpace Online Forum
Thank you to the planning team, presenters and everyone who attended the Second Annual ArchivesSpace Online forum! We were delighted to have over 500 individuals representing 15 different countries and 43 U.S. states register for some part of the event.

If you attended any part of the Online Forum, please take a few minutes to fill out this evaluation<https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/QVY9CBB> to let us know what you liked and what we can do to improve future online events.

Recordings, presentation slides and notes for each session are now included in the program on the forum wiki<https://archivesspace.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/ADC/pages/966688804/ArchivesSpace+Online+Forum+2020>.

Upcoming Webinar: Someday is Here! ArchivesSpace Projects for Working from Home
ArchivesSpace will be offering another webinar focusing on ArchivesSpace data cleanup projects that can be accomplished in a work from home environment on Wednesday, June 3, at 2pm ET. Most of us are doing our jobs under much different conditions than usual. As a browser-based system you can access from anywhere, ArchivesSpace is a tool that can be used when working remotely and many ArchivesSpace users are finding themselves executing large scale data cleanup projects that have only recently been prioritized.

Title:  Someday is Here! ArchivesSpace Projects for Working from Home

When: June 3, 2020

Time: 2:00 p.m. – 3:00 p.m. ET (11:00 a.m. – 12:00pm PT)

Where: Zoom

Registration: https://lyrasis.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_z7JsXKv3RJCBN1wvcKWXdA<https://nam10.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Flyrasis.zoom.us%2Fwebinar%2Fregister%2FWN_z7JsXKv3RJCBN1wvcKWXdA&data=02%7C01%7Cmhuggard%40ku.edu%7C7dc1c4faf4c04e7e54e208d8017c77d8%7C3c176536afe643f5b96636feabbe3c1a%7C0%7C0%7C637260981399063572&sdata=uPvZgsQK5f8BF0fRWGcDFChLBDrtJhmzcTIf9hzb8%2Bo%3D&reserved=0>

In order to provide a secure webinar experience and ensure adequate space in our Zoom environment, registration is now required for our webinars.  Our webinars continue to be free and open to anyone using or interested in ArchivesSpace.

Webinar description:

This webinar will be recorded and made available on the ArchivesSpace YouTube channel.

Miloche Kottman and Marcella Huggard of the University of Kansas Libraries will discuss projects they have created for staff in the Cataloging and Archival Processing Department to work on while sheltering in place at home.  These cleanup projects, which were often lower priority before the COVID-19 pandemic sent everyone home, include fixing subject and agent records; creating MARC records for legacy manuscript collections; consolidating resource records that were separated; converting pdfs to be archival object inventories in ArchivesSpace; and creating resource records for legacy processed collections. Miloche and Marcella will discuss database queries to cull the necessary data and workflows for managing these projects.

Webinar presenters:

Marcella Huggard is the manuscripts processing coordinator at the Kenneth Spencer Research Library, part of the University of Kansas Libraries.  She oversees arrangement and description and processing for all of Spencer’s manuscript collections and has been with KU since 2015.

Miloche Kottman is the Head of Cataloging & Archival Processing. In addition to overseeing a staff of 28 full-time members, she is the system administrator for Voyager, Aeon and ArchivesSpace.  Currently she has two new co-workers who kindly allow her to sit in front of their window to work as long as she doesn’t mind them interrupting when a rabbit bounces by (Tigger and Dash, the cats). She received her MLIS from University of Wisconsin—Milwaukee.

The recordings for last month’s webinars, Integrating ArchivesSpace and ArcLight and ArchivesSpace Data Cleanup: Tips, Tricks and Tools, are now available on YouTube.
<https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL3cxupmXL7Wj6aG1KHb1Rpjgp3Dys2Np5>

Take a Break with ArchivesSpace
Whether working from home for the first time, as remote working pros, or as onsite staff, most of us are doing our jobs under much different conditions than usual. As a browser based system you can access from anywhere, the ArchivesSpace application may offer a sense of archival normalcy as we each adjust. And with a welcoming and robust member community all over the world, ArchivesSpace can also offer camaraderie when many of us may feel isolated from our colleagues or the professional communities we interact with regularly.

We will continue hosting our casual open calls via zoom at 12pm ET each Friday. We won’t be developing agendas or presentations for these calls. We just want to provide a forum and an opportunity to connect, chat and recharge. Use this as a time to get help or talk about ArchivesSpace or anything else in an informal setting or just have a beverage with other ArchivesSpace users during this stressful time.

When: Fridays

Time: 12:00 p.m. – 1:00 p.m. ET (9:00 a.m. – 10:00 a.m. PT)

Where: Visit our blog<https://archivesspace.org/archives/6177> for connection information

We seek to provide a welcoming, fun, and safe community experience for everyone and adhere to Code4Lib’s CodeofConduct4Lib. The full text of the code of conduct is available at: http://bit.ly/coc4lib.

Governance Board elections

Thanks to everyone who participated in the nominations process this year for openings on our Technical Advisory Council (TAC), User Advisory Council (UAC), and Governance Board. Watch this space next month for the announcement of the new appointees to TAC and UAC.

Elections for the three positions on the Governance Board open in this cycle will open on June 8. This year the ArchivesSpace member community will be electing representatives from the Large, Medium, and Very Small levels. One Voting Member from each member institution from those levels will be sent a ballot for their level only on or about June 8. If you are the Voting Member for your institution and your institution is at one of those membership levels, please contact Christine (christine.dibella at lyrasis.org) if you do not receive it. Thanks in advance for your participation!

Membership Update

We are excited to welcome our newest members to our community! Our new members since April 30 include:

  *   California State University, Channel Islands (Camarillo, CA)

As of May 29, we have 416 General members, 21 Educational Program members, and 3 Registered Service Providers. If you are interested in your institution becoming a member of ArchivesSpace, please email us at ArchivesSpaceHome at lyrasis.org for more information.

ArchivesSpace monthly updates provide news about ArchivesSpace community and program activities and are sent to our member listservs, the ArchivesSpace Google Group, and SAA’s Collection Management Tools Section listserv, as well as being posted on the ArchivesSpace website. Please feel free to share this update with people you know who have an interest in ArchivesSpace but may not be on one of these lists.

Jessica Dowd Crouch
Community Engagement Coordinator for ArchivesSpace
jessica.crouch at lyrasis.org<mailto:jessica.crouch at lyrasis.org>
[page1image482511520]