[Archivesspace_uac] ArchivesSpace Update - April 2020

Jessica Crouch Jessica.Crouch at lyrasis.org
Thu Apr 30 13:38:17 EDT 2020

[cid:image001.jpg at 01D61EF4.9A44EC30]
April 2020 Update
Development

We're getting close to putting the final touches on the next release of ArchivesSpace and expect to have it ready by mid-May. New features for the next release include merging top containers, importing archival objects from spreadsheets, additional browse and search preferences for the staff interface, additional information in the background jobs area, and some small improvements to search for the public interface, among others. It will also have some accessibility, performance improvements, and bug fixes. We anticipate putting out a call for wider testing as soon as next week.

Membership Renewals

ArchivesSpace is developed by and for the community that uses it, and strengthened by services and activities that support our community and connect us to one another. As we get close to the end of another membership year, we want to give a special thanks to all of the institutions that have joined us as members. ArchivesSpace membership is our primary source of revenue and informs and sustains every aspect of the program, including software development, support and engagement. Thanks for all that your support makes possible.

ArchivesSpace membership renewals are in the process of being sent out to all current members for 2020/2021. If you have any questions or need your invoice sooner, please let us know. We look forward to another year working together.

Registration now open - Second Annual ArchivesSpace Online Forum

Register now<https://www.eventbrite.com/e/99210119137> for our second Online Forum! Taking place May 18-21, 2020, our online forum will be a four-day event spanning a variety of time zones and ArchivesSpace experience levels.

As with our in-person forums, our Online Forum will include a mix of opportunities to share and learn from each other about many different aspects of ArchivesSpace.  The forum aims to span the many time zones of our community over the course of 4 days with a three hour block each day. Visit the Online Forum wiki<https://archivesspace.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/ADC/pages/966688804/ArchivesSpace+Online+Forum+2020> to view the schedule for each day.

Upcoming Webinar: ArchivesSpace Data Cleanup: Tips, Tricks, and Tools

ArchivesSpace will be offering a 90-minute webinar on ArchivesSpace data cleanup on Wednesday, May 6, at 2pm ET. Most of us are doing our jobs under much different conditions than usual. As a browser-based system you can access from anywhere, ArchivesSpace is a tool that can be used when working remotely and many ArchivesSpace users are finding themselves executing large scale data cleanup projects that have only recently been prioritized. This webinar will highlight tools, workflows and data cleanup projects developed by members of the ArchivesSpace member community that may prove helpful to users developing their own data cleanup projects.

When: May 6, 2020

Time: 2:00 p.m. – 3:30 p.m. ET (11:00 a.m. – 12:30pm PT)

Where: Zoom
Registration: https://lyrasis.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_RXu6oWVJQ5yzbiHLN7gWRQ

In order to provide a secure webinar experience and ensure adequate space in our Zoom environment, registration is now required for our webinars.  Our webinars continue to be free and open to anyone using or interested in ArchivesSpace.

Webinar description:

This webinar will be recorded and made available on the ArchivesSpace YouTube channel.

ArchivesSpace users from a variety of institutions will explain metadata remediation and maintenance projects at their institutions, and offer tools and strategies for working with duplicate records, legacy description and non-standard metadata, and renumbering and adding information to boxes and folders (i.e. top containers and sub containers). Projects to be discussed include name authority remediation, addressing duplicate agent and subject records, improving date metadata and uploading EAD finding aids while managing staff working in ArchivesSpace remotely.

Webinar Presenters:

Alicia Detelich is a metadata archivist in the Manuscripts and Archives department at Yale University’s Sterling Memorial Library. Her work is focused on developing tools and workflows for creating and enhancing archival description.

Alexander Duryee is the Metadata Archivist at the New York Public Library, where he manages and develops systems for archival description and discovery.  He received his MLIS from Rutgers University.

Abby Hoverstock is the Senior Archivist in the Western History and Genealogy Department of the Denver Public Library. The department is steward of about 5,500 manuscript collections in a busy downtown public library where access by anyone, without an appointment, is their strength. Abby’s team consists of 6 archives staff (and 20+ volunteers) who accession and catalog new collections with commendable speed and precision!

Meaghan O’Riordan has served as the Accessioning Archivist for the Stuart A. Rose Manuscript, Archives & Rare Book Library at Emory University since 2016. Previously she was a Library Associate at North Carolina State University. She holds a Master’s in library science from UNC-Chapel Hill.

Rachel Searcy is the Accessioning Archivist and an ArchivesSpace administrator at New York University Libraries, working in the Archival Collections Management department. Previously, Rachel held positions focused on processing, metadata, and digitization at NYU's Tamiment Library and Robert F. Wagner Labor Archives, and the John F. Kennedy Presidential Library and Museum.

Who should attend:

This webinar will be of interest to archivists working with legacy metadata and those interested in approaches to data cleanup projects, as well as those considering possibilities for ArchivesSpace-related projects when working remotely.

Questions?

Contact Jessica at jessica.crouch at lyrasis.org if you have questions about this webinar or our other online events.

Upcoming Webinar: Integrating ArchivesSpace with ArcLight

The next webinar in the Integrations with ArchivesSpace series will be Tuesday, May 12, at 2pm ET.  Each webinar in this series highlights an integration with another application used in archives that ArchivesSpace members have worked on or requested.

Our eighth webinar in this series will discuss integration with ArcLight<https://library.stanford.edu/projects/arclight>.  ArcLight is a community-based effort to build an open source Blacklight-based environment to support discovery and delivery of archival material, led by Stanford Libraries.

When: May 12, 2020

Time: 2:00 p.m. – 3:00 p.m. ET (11:00 a.m. – noon PT)

Where: Zoom
Registration: https://lyrasis.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_q5w25dN_QUyiXkqM5UPaGA

In order to provide a secure webinar experience and ensure adequate space in our Zoom environment, registration is now required for our webinars.  Our webinars continue to be free and open to anyone using or interested in ArchivesSpace.

Webinar description:

This webinar will be recorded and made available on the ArchivesSpace YouTube channel.

In this webinar, Mark A. Matienzo, Assistant Director for Digital Strategy and Access at the Stanford University Libraries, will provide background on the ArcLight project, its features, and how it aligns with and is distinctive from ArchivesSpace.  Since 2015, the ArcLight project has had an extensive design phase and two software development work cycles, with contributions from over 40 people and over 9 institutions.  In their position at Stanford, Mark manages the digital library discovery, access, and delivery portfolio and a team of software engineers and user experience designers. Prior to joining Stanford, Mark worked as an archivist, technologist, and strategist specializing in born-digital materials and metadata management, at institutions including the Digital Public Library of America, Yale University Library, The New York Public Library, and the American Institute of Physics.

Gregory Wiedeman, University Archivist in the M.E. Grenander Department of Special Collections & Archives at the University at Albany, SUNY, will discuss UAlbany’s integration of ArchivesSpace and ArcLight. UAlbany implemented ArcLight in March 2019 to provide access to archival description. This instance relies on integrations with ArchivesSpace for creating and managing description, and Hyrax for providing access to digital objects. Greg will overview why UAlbany chose this direction before briefly diving into the details on how UAlbany’s integration works. Finally, he will discuss what is working well with these systems and what still needs improvement. In his position at UAlbany, Greg helps ensure long-term access to the school’s public records. He oversees collecting, processing, and reference for the University Archives and supports the implementation and development of the department’s archival systems.

The recording for our seventh webinar in the series, Integrating ArchivesSpace and Alma, is now available on YouTube. <https://youtu.be/OicrVyiSsE8>

Take a Break with ArchivesSpace

Whether working from home for the first time, as remote working pros, or as onsite staff, most of us are doing our jobs under much different conditions than usual. As a browser based system you can access from anywhere, the ArchivesSpace application may offer a sense of archival normalcy as we each adjust. And with a welcoming and robust member community all over the world, ArchivesSpace can also offer camaraderie when many of us may feel isolated from our colleagues or the professional communities we interact with regularly.

We will continue hosting our casual open calls via zoom at 12pm ET each Friday. We won’t be developing agendas or presentations for these calls. We just want to provide a forum and an opportunity to connect, chat and recharge. Use this as a time to get help or talk about ArchivesSpace or anything else in an informal setting or just have a beverage with other ArchivesSpace users during this stressful time.

When: Fridays

Time: 12:00 p.m. – 1:00 p.m. ET (9:00 a.m. – 10:00 a.m. PT)

Where: Visit our blog<https://archivesspace.org/archives/6177> for connection information

We seek to provide a welcoming, fun, and safe community experience for everyone and adhere to Code4Lib’s CodeofConduct4Lib. The full text of the code of conduct is available at: http://bit.ly/coc4lib.

Save the Dates

Mark your calendars for these upcoming ArchivesSpace events! (Note: we are, of course, keeping a close eye on the covid-19 outbreak and its impact on institutions and localities in our community. In person events are subject to change based on wider developments.)

  *   ArchivesSpace Online Forum<https://archivesspace.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/ADC/pages/966688804/ArchivesSpace+Online+Forum+2020> - May 18-21, 2020

  *   ArchivesSpace Annual Member Forum - August 4, 2020, at North Park University in Chicago, IL

  *   ArchivesSpace UK Regional Member Forum - December 9-10, 2020, at University of Oxford in Oxford, England

This list of events is for informational purposes and is meant to help as you plan your upcoming travel and professional development.  Calls for proposals, registration information, schedules and other information for each event will be announced and included on the wiki as planning commences for that event.

Membership Update

We are excited to welcome our newest members to our community! Our new members since March 31 include:

  *   Earlham College (Richmond, IN)
  *   Lafayette College (Easton, PA)
  *   Keene State College (Educational Program Member)

As of April 30, we have 415 General members, 21 Educational Program members, and 3 Registered Service Providers. If you are interested in your institution becoming a member of ArchivesSpace, please email us at ArchivesSpaceHome at lyrasis.org<mailto:ArchivesSpaceHome at lyrasis.org> for more information.

ArchivesSpace monthly updates provide news about ArchivesSpace community and program activities and are sent to our member listservs, the ArchivesSpace Google Group, and SAA’s Collection Management Tools Section listserv, as well as being posted on the ArchivesSpace website. Please feel free to share this update with people you know who have an interest in ArchivesSpace but may not be on one of these lists.

Jessica Dowd Crouch
Community Engagement Coordinator for ArchivesSpace
jessica.crouch at lyrasis.org<mailto:jessica.crouch at lyrasis.org>
[page1image482511520]