[Archivesspace_uac] individual listservs for ArchivesSpace Council sub-teams available by request

Christine Di Bella christine.dibella at lyrasis.org
Fri Apr 12 16:13:59 EDT 2019

Hi everyone,

Recently it came up in TAC that it might be desirable for sub-teams to have their own listservs. This could provide both a single point of contact for those outside of the group as well as some continuity as membership changes in the groups over the years.

In general, we can easily request listservs for any group that would like one. The listservs would be in the same format as the other ArchivesSpace listservs and thus subject to the same limitations of functionality. Also, there is no way in our current system to have hierarchical listservs, so each would live on its own, and people would need subscribe to them (if a subscription is required to post or to view archives) each separately.

If you request one, please also send me information in response to the following administrative questions:

  *   What is the list called? (You can provide a short name and a longer, more descriptive name or description.)
  *   Who are the initial subscribers to the list?
  *   Can anyone post to the list or do they need to subscribe? If anyone can post, are posts moderated or otherwise approved before being posted to the list?
  *   Do subscriptions need to be approved by a human (vs. automatically)?
  *   Are the archives public or only available to list subscribers?

You can customize messaging that goes to new subscribers as part of the settings.

Also, it’s by no means unique to this list platform that’s being used, but LYRASIS has had a lot of issues with lists getting spammed with subscription requests or posts that have nothing to do with the list. Some of the settings that we use on the more listserv-y lists to combat this are requiring a subscription to post, auto-verifying email addresses before a subscription request goes through, and/or moderating list posts by first-time posters.

Feel free to get in touch to make a request for a list for your sub-team (talk to the leader first, of course), or to ask more questions about what is possible. Jessica and I will be happy to help.

Christine

Christine Di Bella
ArchivesSpace Program Manager
christine.dibella at lyrasis.org<mailto:christine.dibella at lyrasis.org>