[Archivesspace_uac] ArchivesSpace Update - September 2018

Christine Kim Christine.Kim at lyrasis.org
Fri Sep 28 14:37:18 EDT 2018

[ASpaceOrgHome.jpg]

September 2018 Update

The recordings from our Annual Member Forum in Washington D.C. are now available on our YouTube channel! Special thanks to Atlas Systems for recording and editing this footage. We are also ramping up our effort to get the new ArchivesSpace Member Directory out to you very soon, and we're excited to share more information on how the new ArchivesSpace Implementation Buddies program can help our community collaborate. We also have updates on the upcoming Kansas City Regional Forum, as well as an online forum to look forward to next year! Read on for more news!

Development

We're working on the next release of ArchivesSpace and expect to have a release candidate out in early October. This release will include accessibility improvements to both the public user interface and staff interface, an RTF option for reports, and a number of small improvements to the interfaces and the underlying infrastructure. We expect to have one more release before the end of 2018. We're currently determining what is likely to be included and updating the roadmap.

ArchivesSpace is always interested in more development help. Depending on your interest and availability, we have lots of suggestions for projects small and big that developers and tech-savvy archivists of all experience levels could help with to make ArchivesSpace better for everyone. If you're interested in writing code and helping with ArchivesSpace development, or if you know someone who might be, please contact Program Manager Christine Di Bella (christine.dibella at lyrasis.org<mailto:christine.dibella at lyrasis.org>) or Tech Lead Laney McGlohon (laney.mcglohon at lyrasis.org<mailto:laney.mcglohon at lyrasis.org>) for more details.

ArchivesSpace Member Directory

We are thrilled to announce our latest effort to provide information on how our community is using ArchivesSpace! We are compiling an ArchivesSpace Member Directory to bring together information about our diverse ArchivesSpace member community and use of the ArchivesSpace application. We hope the compiled directory will help you identify others in similar situations or facing similar challenges to your own as well as provide a way for all of us to better engage each other for questions, ideas, and insights.

The information collected will be shared only with ArchivesSpace members. Aside from publicly available information about institutions like names and locations, information about the use of ArchivesSpace will be shared only for those who consent to have it included.

The submission form for the ArchivesSpace Member Directory is available here: https://tinyurl.com/aspace-directory. Most questions are optional. Please feel free to leave blank fields for anything you cannot answer or do not feel comfortable answering.

A digital copy of the ArchivesSpace Member Directory will be distributed to all member representatives within the next couple of weeks.

Please email us at ArchivesSpaceHome at lyrasis.org<mailto:ArchivesSpaceHome at lyrasis.org> if you have any questions.

ArchivesSpace Implementation Buddies

Thank you to all who joined the info webinar on the ArchivesSpace Implementation Buddies program on September 26, in which we shared our goal to facilitate an "implementation buddy" program to help connect our ArchivesSpace community members so we can work through challenges together.

In this webinar, we provided a detailed overview on how you can get involved, including a walkthrough of  the ArchivesSpace Member Directory form<https://tinyurl.com/aspace-directory> and the Implementation Buddy sign-up sheet<https://tinyurl.com/aspace-buddy>. Resources from the webinar are now available: http://archivesspace.org/archives/3183.

You are welcome to submit your individual interest to be an "implementation buddy" through this Implementation Buddy sign-up sheet.

A digital listing of all interested implementation buddies will be regularly circulated through email to  individuals who have submitted their interest through this sign-up sheet.

If you have any questions, please contact Christine Kim at christine.kim at lyrasis.org<mailto:christine.kim at lyrasis.org>.

Feedback on Webinars & Ideas for the Future

We are interested in hearing your feedback on ArchivesSpace webinars -- What do you enjoy about the webinars? How can we improve them? How does the schedule work for you?  These are some of the questions we ask, as well as an opportunity to provide insight into potential themes and topics we should explore in the future.

This will be an ongoing survey. Please share your thoughts with us when you have a chance. https://tinyurl.com/aspace-webinarsurvey

Open Members Call on Zoom, October 25, 2-3pm ET (11-noon PT)

Please save the date for our next informal open call, coming up on October 25 at 2-3pm ET (11-noon PT). Open calls provide an opportunity to hear updates from each other and encourage group discussion. It's a space to surface news, ideas, and challenges. You will be able to join by either computer or phone.

An announcement with call in details will be sent out shortly, along with a pre-survey to generate discussion topics. Please email Kim at christine.kim at lyrasis.org<mailto:christine.kim at lyrasis.org> if you have any questions. We look forward to "seeing" you there!

Annual Member Forum in Washington D.C.

We're thrilled to share that the recordings from the Annual Member Forum are now available! Special thanks to Atlas Systems for providing this service!

  *   Recordings: All recordings are available through the ArchivesSpace Member Forum 2018 playlist<https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL3cxupmXL7WgD7hkP5lZU64d0UCQgE8pm> on our YouTube channel<https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxR6D-UlSx6N6UWTeqHTjzA>.
     *   Please note: Each presentation is also linked through the wiki program page<https://archivesspace.atlassian.net/wiki/display/ADC/ArchivesSpace+Member+Forum+2018>!
  *   Evaluation: Please take a moment to provide your feedback and help us improve our future programs by submitting this survey: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/K8R7BYS

Regional Forum updates

Planning for our Fall regional forum is under way. We are also exploring an online forum for the Winter season. Here are some of the most relevant news, dates, and links to keep you up to date on all the activity!

Upcoming: Kansas City Regional Forum: November 30, 2018

Hang onto your hats! We're excited to announce the Kansas City Regional Forum!

Location: Midwest Genealogy Center in Independence, MO

Date: November 30, 2018 (Friday)

We'll be sending out a formal announcement next week, which will include a call for presenter submissions. Registration information will follow shortly.

Upcoming: ArchivesSpace Online Forum: Winter (February 2019)

We are thrilled about all the opportunities we had to get together in person through our regional forums this past year! With this momentum, we'd like to explore new ways our community can collaborate, communicate, and engage with each other through an online forum!

All community members are welcome to participate! However, we would love to focus on themes that are especially relevant to our small and very small community members, including our lone arrangers.

Would you like to participate in a Working Group to help shape the program content for the online forum? Community members from institutions of all sizes are welcome, but we especially encourage our small and very small members to participate as we build this program. Response requested by October 31. Email Christine Kim at christine.kim at lyrasis.org<mailto:christine.kim at lyrasis.org>.

If you have any questions (or ideas) related to the regional forums, feel free to email Christine Kim at christine.kim at lyrasis.org<mailto:christine.kim at lyrasis.org>.

The regional forums are opportunities for our diverse ArchivesSpace members to meet up more locally to share and learn from each other through workshops, focused discussion sessions, and presentations. We look forward to having the content shaped by our community.

New Stories on the Blog

In User Insights (http://archivesspace.org/archives/category/user-insights), Kelly Spring (Access Archivist, East Carolina University) provides an update in the blog series "Arrr-chivesSpace Migration" to provide insight into the migration process at ECU. Follow along throughout their two-year journey!

We would love to include your ArchivesSpace stories on the blog! If you would like to contribute, please email Christine Kim at christine.kim at lyrasis.org<mailto:christine.kim at lyrasis.org>.

Membership Update

We are excited to welcome our newest members to our community! Our new members since August 31 include:

  *   The Museum of Flight (Seattle, WA)
  *   Stephens College (Columbia, MO)

As of September 28, we have 362 General members, 19 Educational Program members, and 3 Registered Service Providers. If you are interested in your institution becoming a member of ArchivesSpace, please email us at ArchivesSpaceHome at lyrasis.org<mailto:ArchivesSpaceHome at lyrasis.org> for more information.

ArchivesSpace monthly updates provide news about ArchivesSpace community and program activities and are sent to our member listservs, the ArchivesSpace Google Group, and SAA's Collection Management Tools Section listserv, as well as being posted on the ArchivesSpace website. Please feel free to share this update with people you know who have an interest in ArchivesSpace but may not be on one of these lists.