[Archivesspace_uac] ArchivesSpace Update - April 2018

Christine Kim Christine.Kim at lyrasis.org
Mon Apr 30 22:58:12 EDT 2018

[ASpaceOrgHome.jpg]

April 2018 Update

The Boston Regional Forum is just days away, the SoCal Regional Forum working group steps up to shape their program content, and we're excited to announce the date for the 4th annual Member Forum. New stories are up on the blog, continuing a series that will provide deep insight into the TAC and UAC activities! Read on for more news!

Development

Our next release in planned for late May. The deadline by which a pull request needs to be submitted for consideration for the May release is May 18th. Pull requests submitted after the end of the day on May 18 will be considered for a future release.

Revised ArchivesSpace Bylaws

First adopted in 2014, the ArchivesSpace Bylaws lay out the rules by which our community governs itself. As part of our efforts to ensure that our foundational documents continue to reflect our activities and values as our community has matured, a small working group from the ArchivesSpace Governance Board, led by Brian Schottlaender (retired University Librarian of partner institution University of California, San Diego) and including Audra Eagle Yun (University of California, Irvine) and Gregor Trinkaus-Randall (Massachusetts Board of Library Commissioners), convened to review them and draft updates. The updated Bylaws were approved by the full board earlier this month and are posted on our website at http://archivesspace.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/ASpace-Bylaws-Rev.2018.03.29.pdf

Thank you to Brian and his group for their work. We greatly appreciate their efforts in ensuring that the ArchivesSpace Bylaws continue to reflect our community's practices and shared values. If you have questions about the updated Bylaws, please let us know.

Webinar: A History of the Finding Aid: May 16 at 1-2pm ET (10-11am PT)

Please save the date for a webinar titled "A History of the Finding Aid," presented by Valerie Addonizio (Description Management Archivist, Johns Hopkins University).

Formal announcement, including webinar viewing link, to follow. If you have any questions, please contact Kim at christine.kim at lyrasis.org<mailto:christine.kim at lyrasis.org>. We look forward to seeing you at the webinar!

Open Members Call on Zoom, May 24, 2-3pm ET (11-noon PT)

Please save the date for our next informal open call, coming up on May 24 at 2-3pm ET (11-noon PT). Open calls provide an opportunity to hear updates from each other and encourage group discussion. It's a space to surface news, ideas, and challenges. You will be able to join by either computer or phone.

An announcement with call in details will be sent out shortly, along with a pre-survey to generate discussion topics. Please email Kim at christine.kim at lyrasis.org<mailto:christine.kim at lyrasis.org> if you have any questions. We look forward to "seeing" you there!

Annual Member Forum: August 14, 2018, in Washington D.C.

We're thrilled to announce that we have a date for the 4th annual Member Forum! Please save the date for Tuesday, August 14, 2018, in Washington D.C.

This event will again be held in conjunction with the SAA conference, and offer a program that combines workshops, sessions, discussion groups, and program updates. It will be free and open to all staff of ArchivesSpace member institutions.

Program details, specific site details, and registration are forthcoming. We look forward to seeing you in August!

Regional Forum Updates

ArchivesSpace regional forums are opportunities for our diverse ArchivesSpace members to meet up more locally to share and learn from each other through program content shaped by the community. We're excited that our first two regional forums are coming up soon.

Boston Regional Forum: May 3, 2018 at Tufts University

  *   Registration is open until May 3rd: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/archivesspace-regional-forum-boston-2018-tickets-42955347601
  *   Final program now available: https://archivesspace.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/ADC/pages/455213059/Boston+Regional+Forum+-+May+2018

Southern California Regional Forum: June 28, 2018 at University of California, Irvine

  *   Special thanks to our hosts at the UCI Libraries for generously sponsoring this program.
  *   Call for lightning round speakers:
The SoCal Regional Forum Working Group is seeking proposals for a lightning round session. Presentations will be capped at 5 minutes and topics can be on anything related to your work using, developing, implementing, or actively contributing to the ArchivesSpace application and community.
Submit a short proposal at https://goo.gl/forms/zowXsJvLWBPa0Bts1 by Wednesday, May 23, 2018. You will receive a response by May 25, 2018.

If you have any questions (or ideas) for these or other regional forums, feel free to email Kim at christine.kim at lyrasis.org.

New Stories on the Blog

In All About Community (http://archivesspace.org/category/all-about-community/), Patrick Galligan (Digital Archivist, Rockefeller Archive Center) provides insight into the Integrations sub-team. This is a continuation of a series looking into the various sub-teams of the Technical Advisory Council and User Advisory Council to provide insight into the variety of activities and initiatives undertaken by these groups.

We would love to include your ArchivesSpace stories on the blog! If you would like to contribute, please email Kim at christine.kim at lyrasis.org<mailto:christine.kim at lyrasis.org>.

Membership Update

We are excited to welcome our newest members to our community! Our new members since March 29 include:

  *   Brooklyn Museum (Brooklyn, NY)
  *   Central Arkansas Library System (Little Rock, AR)

As of April 30, we have 362 General members, 19 Educational Program members, and 3 Registered Service Providers. If you are interested in your institution becoming a member of ArchivesSpace, please email us at ArchivesSpaceHome at lyrasis.org<mailto:ArchivesSpaceHome at lyrasis.org> for more information.

ArchivesSpace monthly updates provide news about ArchivesSpace community and program activities and are sent to our member listservs, the ArchivesSpace Google Group, and SAA's Collection Management Tools Section listserv, as well as being posted on the ArchivesSpace website. Please feel free to share this update with people you know who have an interest in ArchivesSpace but may not be on one of these lists.