[Archivesspace_uac] Revised ArchivesSpace Bylaws

Laurie Arp laurie.arp at lyrasis.org
Fri Apr 27 15:41:24 EDT 2018

Distributing for Carol Mandel...

Dear ArchivesSpace members,

First adopted in 2014, the ArchivesSpace Bylaws lay out the rules by which our community governs itself. As part of our efforts to ensure that our foundational documents continue to reflect our activities and values as our community has matured, a small working group from the ArchivesSpace Governance Board, led by Brian Schottlaender (retired University Librarian of partner institution University of California, San Diego) and including Audra Eagle Yun (University of California, Irvine) and Gregor Trinkaus-Randall (Massachusetts Board of Library Commissioners), convened to draft updates to the Bylaws. The updated Bylaws were approved by the full board earlier this month and are posted on our website.
http://archivesspace.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/ASpace-Bylaws-Rev.2018.03.29.pdf

One of the more significant updates is changing the standard term of elected Board members from two years to three. This will provide for better continuity, more opportunities for elected representatives to complete particular initiatives, and to take advantage of the experience elected representatives gain as Board members. Another change is establishing the position of Vice-Chair for all three of our governing bodies, the Governance Board, the Technical Advisory Council (TAC) and the User Advisory Council (UAC). This will provide greater support and succession planning for the leadership of these important groups.  Other changes include making Board membership clearer by emphasizing the role of the nine voting members, updating the descriptions of the TAC and UAC to reflect their activities, and making it more explicit that ArchivesSpace membership is open to institutions of all types.

Thank you to Brian and his group for their work. We greatly appreciate their efforts in ensuring that the ArchivesSpace Bylaws continue to reflect our community's practices and shared values. If you have questions about the updated Bylaws, please let us know.

Respectfully,

Carol A. Mandel
Chair, ArchivesSpace Governance Board
Dean, Division of Libraries, New York University