[Archivesspace_uac] ArchivesSpace Update - December 2017

Christine Kim Christine.Kim at lyrasis.org
Thu Dec 21 17:44:54 EST 2017

[ASpaceOrgHome.jpg]

December 2017 Update

We're happy to round out the year with some exciting news. We have new migration tool that will help you migrate from either Archivists' Toolkit or Archon directly into the latest ArchivesSpace version. We also just had a smaller release come out that addresses some bug fixes. The Staff Interface Enhancement Working Group has submitted their final recommendations! And we have a variety of webinars all queued up for the new year. Read on for more news!

Development

The ArchivesSpace program team is pleased to announce the availability of v2.2.2. While we are still finishing up some larger development work that is now due in January, including the first phases of the expanded agents module specification, we wanted to close out this busy development year by putting out one last small release. This release contains a number of community pull requests and several bug fixes, most notably one that restores the ability to do truncation searches in the public user interface. A big thanks to all the community members who have provided development and submitted pull requests in 2017, including the work from Mark Cooper, Chris Fitzpatrick, Tim DiLauro, and Steve Majewski that is included in this release.

You can download this release at https://github.com/archivesspace/archivesspace/releases/tag/v2.2.2. The full list of bug fixes and improvements is included in the release notes.

Information on upgrading to a new version of ArchivesSpace is available at http://archivesspace.github.io/archivesspace/user/upgrading-to-a-new-release-of-archivesspace/. If you have not already upgraded to 2.2.0 or 2.2.1, we recommend going directly to 2.2.2, though, depending on the version you are coming from, you should read the special considerations for upgrading from/to different versions that are linked to from the upgrading document first.

Thanks to all who have participated in the ArchivesSpace development process this year, from identifying and prioritizing issues, to writing and reviewing code for the application, to testing changes and writing documentation. We on the ArchivesSpace team are very appreciative of all the work so many have done to make the ArchivesSpace application what it is today and look forward to working with you towards many more improvements in 2018. If you have any questions or need help upgrading, please let us know.

Release of Updated Migration Tools

The ArchivesSpace team is very pleased to announce the release of two updated migration tools: an Archivists' Toolkit to ArchivesSpace migration tool, as well as an Archon to ArchivesSpace migration tool.

Both updated tools will enable people with Archivists' Toolkit or Archon databases who have not yet moved to ArchivesSpace to migrate directly to the latest versions of ArchivesSpace. Since ArchivesSpace has an assessment module as of v2.2.0, unlike previous versions of the migration tool, the updated tool also includes migration of assessment data.

The updated Archivists' Toolkit to ArchivesSpace tool is available at https://github.com/archivesspace/at-migration/releases/tag/v2.2.2.

The updated Archon to ArchivesSpace tool is available at https://github.com/archivesspace/archon-migration/releases/latest.

Thanks very much to those who provided sample AT and Archon datasets and testing feedback. A very special thanks to Ed Busch of Michigan State University for his tireless efforts in testing and re-testing the Archivists' Toolkit migration tool while we were working on it and helping us greatly improve it as a result. And particular thanks to Jeff Sheldon and Cliff Hight at Kansas State University for helping us improve the Archon migration tool in a number of areas after our first update efforts.

This update reflects the very significant work of Sarah Morrissey, our Georgia Tech co-op student, under the supervision of and in collaboration with Tech Lead Laney McGlohon. We look forward to more great work that will benefit many in the ArchivesSpace community when Sarah rejoins us for her next assignment in summer 2018.

We hope these updated tools will be helpful to those who have not yet made the move from either Archivists' Toolkit or Archon and are planning to do so in the near future. If you have any questions or difficulties using the updated Archon migration tool, please get in touch.

Staff Interface Enhancement Working Group - Final Recommendations

Following an open commentary period from November 7 to December 12th, SIEWG submitted their final recommendations on December 21st. These recommendations are available: https://archivesspace.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/ADC/pages/369557505/SIEWG+final+recommendations.

Please feel free to add additional comments on the final recommendations page. There will also be opportunities for additional comments and feedback throughout the implementation process into 2018.

A very special thank you to SIEWG for their incredible work to identify areas for improvement, proposing and refining recommendations, and incorporating feedback from the community to create a vision of an improved staff interface. Particular thanks goes to Lydia Tang for fearlessly spearheading this group. We look forward to continuing this work into the new year as we investigate how to incorporate these recommendations into the application and partner with developers to give life to this vision.

Webinar on the ArchivesSpace Technology & Development Roadmap: January 17 at 2-2:30pm ET (11-11:30am PT)

The ArchivesSpace Technology and Development roadmap is a planning and communication tool to help our community know what to expect in terms of future development work and aid in planning for upcoming releases. To be distributed at the end of 2017, the latest version of our roadmap has many content and format updates, and now provides a series of views targeted at the needs of different kinds of ArchivesSpace stakeholders. In this webinar, Program Manager Christine Di Bella will walk through the new roadmap format and also take questions and comments on the development planning process.

Please join us on January 17, 2018 at 2-2:30pm EST (11-11:30am PST) as Christine shares an overview of the new ArchivesSpace Technology and Development roadmap. Please feel free to bring any questions you have.

The webinar will be available through Adobe Connect. The URL to the webinar will be posted soon.

No registration required. The session is limited to the first 100 participants. Please feel free to host a webinar viewing group.

If you have any questions about this webinar, please contact Kim at christine.kim at lyrasis.org<mailto:christine.kim at lyrasis.org>. We look forward to seeing you at the webinar!

Save the date for upcoming web events! Formal announcements to follow.

  *   Webinar: ArchivesSpace Technology & Development Roadmap [January 17, 2-2:30pm ET / 11-11:30am PT]
  *   Open Members Call on Zoom! [February 21, 2-3pm ET / 11-noon PT]
  *   Webinar: Assessments Module Overview & Implementation  [March 2, 1-2pm ET / 10-11am PT]
  *   Webinar: A Bug's Life: From JIRA to Fix [April 11, 1-2pm ET / 10-11am PT]

Webinar on Testing: Recording Available

Thanks to all who joined our webinar on testing ArchivesSpace pre-release candidates. For those who were unable to make it, the webinar has been recorded and is available here: https://youtu.be/5jY8rAmGqP8

Special thanks to our presenters, Alexander Duryee (Metadata Archivist, New York Public Library) and Miloche Kottman (Head of Cataloging & Archival Processing, University of Kansas).

New Blog Series: User Insights

User Insights<http://archivesspace.org/category/user-insights/> is a blog series that highlights diverse perspectives and experiences of ArchivesSpace users to enrich our entire community through shared stories, strategies, and lessons learned. This series aims to provide insight to the archivists, librarians, information technologists, developers, and so many other contributors using ArchivesSpace to preserve permanently valuable records and provide access to our researchers.

If you would like to share your ArchivesSpace stories, please email Kim at christine.kim at lyrasis.org<mailto:christine.kim at lyrasis.org>.

Regional Forums: Announcement & Request for Help

We have been looking forward to offering regional forums for the ArchivesSpace community. We envision these forums as opportunities for our diverse ArchivesSpace members to meet up more locally to share and learn from each other through workshops, focused discussion sessions, and presentations.

We are happy to announce the first regional forum will be coming to the Boston area on May 3, 2018 at Tufts University.

We would love for the content to be shaped by the community. This working group will focus on identifying program content, connecting with presenters, and suggesting local arrangements. Additionally, other potential tasks will include hands-on assistance during the forum such as running the registration table and taking notes. The program team will take care of any details concerning cost and logistics.

If you (or you know someone interested) would like to join the working group to plan the ArchivesSpace Regional Forum in Boston, feel free to email me at christine.kim at lyrasis.org<mailto:christine.kim at lyrasis.org>. Please let me know if you have any questions, and thank you for considering.

Happy Holidays!

Thank you for your continued support of ArchivesSpace! We really appreciate all you do to shape ArchivesSpace so that we are always growing and learning, both as an application as well as a community. This has been a wonderful year of exciting developments, and we look forward to accomplishing even more together in the next.

Our office will be closed during the holidays, from December 25 to January 1. Normal office hours will resume on January 2nd. Hope you all have a warm and happy holidays!

Membership Update

Our new members since November 17  include:

  *   McDaniel College
  *   University of Wisconsin-Madison
  *   University of Amsterdam
  *   Oklahoma State University
  *   Front Range Community College
  *   ADVN | archives for national movements

New educational member:

  *   University of North Carolina at Greensboro Department of Library and Information Studies
  *   University of Missouri iSchool

As of December 21, we have 345 General members, 19 Educational Program members, and 3 Registered Service Providers. If you are interested in your institution becoming a member of ArchivesSpace, please email us at ArchivesSpaceHome at lyrasis.org<mailto:ArchivesSpaceHome at lyrasis.org> for more information.

ArchivesSpace monthly updates provide news about ArchivesSpace community and program activities and are sent to our member listservs, the ArchivesSpace Google Group, and SAA's Collection Management Tools roundtable listserv, as well as being posted on the ArchivesSpace website. Please feel free to share this update with people you know who have an interest in ArchivesSpace but may not be on one of these lists.