[Archivesspace_tac] ArchivesSpace Update - February 2021

Jessica Crouch Jessica.Crouch at lyrasis.org
Fri Feb 26 15:04:55 EST 2021

[cid:image001.jpg at 01D70C50.BD487B80]

ArchivesSpace Update – February 2021

Development

Thank you all for your patience as we finalize the ArchivesSpace v3.0 release candidate, which we anticipate putting out in March.  If you're interested in what's coming, we recommend reviewing the recording of our recent webinar about the expanded agent module functionality that is the primary focus of this update. While the required fields to create a valid agent record will remain minimal, the expanded agents functionality will allow for greater compliance with metadata standards used to describe persons, families, and corporate entities like MARCXML authority and EAC-CPF, facilitate better exchange with databases like LCNAF and SNAC and support better contextualization of agents by providing more ways to apply controlled access headings or information about the agent and their relationships.  A recording of the webinar as well as a link to a test instance where you can try out the new functionality is available at https://archivesspace.org/archives/6660.

Welcome new ArchivesSpace Tech Lead, Brian Hoffman

We are pleased to announce Brian Hoffman will be joining ArchivesSpace as the Technical Lead on Monday, March 1, 2021.

Brian will be familiar to many in the community from his previous experiences developing for ArchivesSpace. He worked with Hudson Molonglo, the original developers of ArchivesSpace, in our early years and then with the ArchivesSpace program team as a developer later on. For those scoring at home, by number of commits he’s #3 on the all-time list of ArchivesSpace code committers<https://github.com/archivesspace/archivesspace/graphs/contributors>.

Brian’s experience goes far beyond ArchivesSpace, however, having worked with institutions such as New York University, Temple University, and the Museum of Modern Art on applications and technical infrastructure to support many different functions in archives, libraries, and museums. He is skilled not just with the technologies that make up ArchivesSpace and the larger universe of web applications in our field, but also conversant with many of the metadata standards and workflows that support our work.

As Tech Lead, Brian will be responsible for the infrastructure of the ArchivesSpace application and manage the different streams of development that go into it, including work from staff developers, contractors, and community members. He will lead the Core Committers group as they continue to build and strengthen our community of code contributors. He will also work closely with community members and the rest of the program team as we all work to ensure the ArchivesSpace application meets the needs of archives and other collecting institutions now and in the future.

Brian is an excellent colleague and collaborator, valued for his thoughtful approach to issues and good humor. We look forward to this chance to both reconnect and chart a new path for ArchivesSpace together.

ArchivesSpace has been really fortunate to have had Mark Cooper of LYRASIS Digital Technology Services and Lora Woodford take on many of the responsibilities of the Tech Lead while the position has been vacant. We truly appreciate their work to keep ArchivesSpace going on the technical side over the last year.

Brian will officially join the ArchivesSpace team on March 1. Please join us in welcoming Brian to his new role in the ArchivesSpace community!

Applications Due for the ArchivesSpace Diversity Partnership by March 15

The March 15 deadline to apply for the ArchivesSpace Diversity Partnership is fast approaching. The ArchivesSpace Diversity Partnership is a new program that offers support for implementing the ArchivesSpace application to institutions that are themselves or primarily serve communities underrepresented in the ArchivesSpace community. Participating organizations will receive, at no cost to them, ArchivesSpace membership, hosting with a Registered Service Provider, training, and user and technical support for the duration of a three-year term.

Eligible organizations include:

  *   academic Minority-Serving Institutions such as Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCUs), Hispanic Serving Institutions (HSIs), and Tribal Colleges and Universities
  *   non-profit or community archives primarily run by or serving BIPOC (Black, Indigenous, and People of Color)
  *   tribal archives

Applications are due March 15, 2021, and this program will launch with a small cohort of institutions on July 1, 2021. The three-year term will conclude on June 30, 2024.

More information about the ArchivesSpace Diversity Partnership, including information about how to apply and a recording of the information webinar held on February 10th, is available at https://archivesspace.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/ADC/pages/2049998863/ArchivesSpace+Diversity+Partnership.

We are happy to answer any questions you may have anytime by emailing us at ArchivesSpaceHome at lyrasis.org<mailto:ArchivesSpaceHome at lyrasis.org>. Potential applicants who are interested in the experience of using ArchivesSpace at an underrepresented institution can contact Brittany Newberry (bnewberry at auctr.edu<mailto:bnewberry at auctr.edu>). She is happy to talk about Atlanta University Center’s experience implementing ArchivesSpace as an HBCU.

Announcing the ArchivesSpace Member Match Program

The ArchivesSpace Member Engagement sub-team is happy to announce a new initiative: the ArchivesSpace Member Match program.

The Member Match program is an initiative to engage the ArchivesSpace membership community, created and organized by the Member Engagement sub-team of the ArchivesSpace User Advisory Council, with support from the ArchivesSpace Community Engagement Coordinator. The program is intended to be a resource and venue for peer-to-peer support between ArchivesSpace members. For one, year-long term, Member Match participants will be matched with a member with whom they can receive and offer professional insight, advice, and comradery. The program will also offer participants the opportunity to engage in exclusive events and enlightening discussions about ArchivesSpace and its active user community.

Eligibility

Any individual affiliated with an ArchivesSpace member organization is eligible to participate in the ArchivesSpace Member Match program and there is no limit to the number of individuals from a member organization that may participate.

To Learn More

Visit the Member Match wiki: https://archivesspace.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/ADC/pages/2198568994/ArchivesSpace+Member+Match+Program

The ArchivesSpace Member Engagement Sub-team will be offering an informational webinar on March 10th at 2pm ET.  To register for this webinar, visit https://lyrasis.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_ZqjF2XKXTaqBFQbeITClHA

This discussion will be recorded and a copy of the recording will be made available.  Please feel free to direct any questions to ArchivesSpaceHome at lyrasis.org
<mailto:ArchivesSpaceHome at lyrasis.org%0b>

Sent on behalf of the ArchivesSpace Member Engagement sub-team:

Kate Blalack, American Song Archive

Regina Carra, American Folk Art Museum

Bailey Hoffner, University of Oklahoma

Ashley Knox, University of North Carolina Wilmington

Brittany Newberry, Atlanta University Center and ArchivesSpace User Advisory Council Chair

Jessica Crouch, ArchivesSpace Community Engagement Coordinator

Register now for the 3rd Annual ArchivesSpace Online Forum

Registration is now open<https://archivesspace.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/ADC/pages/2146992129/ArchivesSpace+Online+Forum+2021> for the 3rd Annual ArchivesSpace Online Forum!

Taking place March 29-31, 2021, our online forum will be a three-day event spanning a variety of time zones and ArchivesSpace experience levels. Anyone who uses ArchivesSpace or is interested in ArchivesSpace is welcome to attend.

As in years past, this free event will include a mix of opportunities to share and learn from each other about many different aspects of ArchivesSpace.

When:

 Presentations and breakout discussions will be held on March 29-30, 2021, from 4pm-8pm UTC, and all individuals using or interested in ArchivesSpace are welcome to attend some or all of the sessions on these days. The small workshops covering specific elements of the ArchivesSpace application offered at different times on March 30 and 31 are currently full.

Where:
All online via Zoom, with opportunities to join via computer or phone.

Who Can Attend:

Anyone using or interested in using ArchivesSpace. This is a free event but registration is required.

Online registration:
https://archivesspace.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/ADC/pages/2146992129/ArchivesSpace+Online+Forum+2021

Registrations for each day of the Forum are separate. You will need to register for each day you are interested in attending to guarantee your spot. Registration for each activity is linked above the session in the agenda.  Workshop attendance is limited and all workshops are currently full.

We anticipate recording many parts of the forum, but for it to be a success we will also need as many live participants as possible. We encourage you to dip in and out of the live program as much as you can. You will no doubt “meet” a different set of colleagues each time.

A special thanks to our Online Forum planning group for the tremendous work they’re doing to plan this forum. We’re looking forward to a great event, with your help!  Please feel free to contact ArchivesSpace Community Engagement Coordinator Jessica Crouch (jessica.crouch at lyrasis.org) with questions. We look forward to seeing many of you there!

Membership Update

We are excited to welcome our newest members to our community! Our new members since January 31 include:

  *   Berklee College of Music (Boston, MA)
  *   Milwaukee Art Museum (Milwaukee, WI)
  *   Mississippi University for Women (Columbus, MS)

As of February 26, we have 421 General members, 21 Educational Program members, and 3 Registered Service Providers. If you are interested in your institution becoming a member of ArchivesSpace, please email us at ArchivesSpaceHome at lyrasis.org<mailto:ArchivesSpaceHome at lyrasis.org> for more information.

ArchivesSpace monthly updates provide news about ArchivesSpace community and program activities and are sent to our member listservs, the ArchivesSpace Google Group, and SAA’s Collection Management Section listserv, as well as being posted on the ArchivesSpace website. Please feel free to share this update with people you know who have an interest in ArchivesSpace but may not be on one of these lists.

Jessica Dowd Crouch
Community Engagement Coordinator for ArchivesSpace
jessica.crouch at lyrasis.org<mailto:jessica.crouch at lyrasis.org>
[page1image482511520]