[Archivesspace_tac] ArchivesSpace 2nd Quarter Board Update

Nicholas Zmijewski zmijewski at industrialarchives.org
Mon Dec 14 10:58:50 EST 2020

Dear ArchivesSpace members,

I am writing to report on the ArchivesSpace Governance Board 2nd Quarter meeting, a call that was held December 1, 2020.

We reviewed the ongoing work of the Technical Advisory Council and the User Advisory Council. We would like to thank the members of these councils for their incredible contributions. It is good to see these councils continue to evolve and strengthen in terms of structure and interaction with each other.

The operations report highlighted many program activities and the active participation by the community, even in the face of the challenging circumstances of the past year. A version of the training usually offered in person has been converted to an online model during the pandemic, with positive results. This has proven a nimble way to continue to support the community's needs.

The financial reports show that the program's financial position continues to be strong.

The board continues to discuss DEIA initiatives in general as well as specific ways to make ArchivesSpace more diverse and inclusive. The board was pleased to tentatively approve a proposal for a new ArchivesSpace Diversity Partnership program. This pilot program will engage wide community participation to provide assistance with ArchivesSpace implementations for a small number of institutions serving underrepresented racial and ethnic groups. More details on this program will be announced soon.

The board approved small updates to the bylaws to reflect the upcoming change in the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign (UIUC)'s partner status. The updated bylaws will be effective July 1, 2021.

The board members discussed ways to increase the board's effectiveness, including creating position descriptions for board members, the Chair, and the Vice Chair. We hope this will also be helpful in the Nominations process to clarify the role of board members and encourage wider participation.

In closing, I am very happy to report that the ArchivesSpace membership organization continues to be vital and growing, with members making contributions to all facets of the program.
As always, the Board welcomes your feedback. Feel free to reach out directly to me or to your elected representative.
Respectfully,
Nick Zmijewski
Chair
ArchivesSpace Governance Board