[Archivesspace_tac] ArchivesSpace Update - October 2019

Jessica Crouch Jessica.Crouch at lyrasis.org
Thu Oct 31 11:47:57 EDT 2019

ArchivesSpace Update - October 2019

Development

ArchivesSpace v2.7.0 is now available. You can download it at https://github.com/archivesspace/archivesspace/releases/tag/v2.7.0.

This release contains program-led and community pull requests that provide feature enhancements, bug and security fixes, and documentation updates, as well as infrastructure improvements, which were a significant focus of this release. A full list of the changes and improvements is provided on the release page.

In addition to small interface and functionality changes, this release contains two larger areas of feature enhancement. One relates to recording information about language of description and materials. These changes were made to facilitate better standards compliance in these areas. The second major feature enhancement, made to accommodate requests to use persistent identifiers in OAI-PMH harvests and exports, is that resources and archival objects can now be represented by Archival Resource Keys (ARKs). ARKs can either be generated by ArchivesSpace or created outside the application.

Thanks very much to community members Mark Cooper, Mark Custer, Alex Duryee, Dave Mayo, Austin Schaffer, and Greg Wiedeman, and program team members Laney McGlohon, Lora Woodford, and Sarah Morrissey for their code contributions to this release. Thanks also to the contract developer we have been able to engage through member funds, Manny Rodriguez (via LibraryHost), for his efforts on the ARKs feature. Thanks to LYRASIS Digital Technology Services for their technical support with our testing servers and running trial migrations. Last, but by no means least, as always this release would not have been possible without the efforts of our Development Prioritization sub-team, Testing sub-team, Technical Documentation sub-team, and Core Committers Group.

Information on upgrading to a new version of ArchivesSpace is available at http://archivesspace.github.io/archivesspace/user/upgrading-to-a-new-release-of-archivesspace/. If you have not yet upgraded to a recent version, we recommend going directly to 2.7.0. Please let us know if you have any questions or need help upgrading.

Registration is now open for the Southeastern Regional Forum

Registration is now open <https://www.eventbrite.com/e/archivesspace-southeastern-regional-member-forum-tickets-73856056453> for the ArchivesSpace Southeastern Regional Forum on November 15, 2019, at the Hollings Special Collections Library at ArchivesSpace member institution University of South Carolina.  As with previous forums, this will be a free opportunity for staff from ArchivesSpace member institutions in the region to meet and share information with each other and the program team about all things ArchivesSpace with a focus on local interests and activities.

For more information, visit the ArchivesSpace wiki page for the forum.<https://archivesspace.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/ADC/pages/903315487/Southeastern+Regional+Forum+2019>

Volunteer for the next ArchivesSpace online forum

We are currently looking for volunteers for the working group for our second ArchivesSpace online forum! Planned for late winter or early spring 2020, this event will build on the success of the 2019 Online Forum<https://archivesspace.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/ADC/pages/802127927/ArchivesSpace+Online+Forum+2019>, which had over 400 registrants, participating from 7 different countries.

We would love this event to highlight the work institutions near and far are doing to adapt and integrate ArchivesSpace into their systems and workflows. We expect to offer a variety of activities aimed at building community connections and contacts among our users. All ideas are welcome!

All community members are welcome to volunteer for this working group. We especially encourage our Small and Very Small members as well as non-U.S. members to join in envisioning the next iteration of this event. We will schedule meetings and the forum itself in ways that allow for participation across time zones.

If you would like to volunteer, please respond by December 1, 2019.  And if you have any questions, contact Jessica at jessica.crouch at lyrasis.org.

Upcoming Webinar: Integrating ArchivesSpace with Aeon

November 6, 2019, 2-3pm ET (11-noon PT; 7-8pm BST)

Visit the ArchivesSpace blog for details.
<https://archivesspace.org/archives/5723>

ArchivesSpace is pleased to announce the second webinar in our new webinar series focused on Integrations with ArchivesSpace.

Our second webinar in this series will feature an ArchivesSpace integration with Aeon<https://www.atlas-sys.com/aeon>, an automated request and workflow management software specifically designed for special collections libraries and archives from Atlas Systems<https://www.atlas-sys.com/>.

Webinar description:

This webinar will be recorded and made available on the ArchivesSpace YouTube channel.

Katie Gillespie (Atlas Systems) will present the Aeon and ArchivesSpace integration request plugin and discuss the different ways this plugin has been deployed at individual institutions.  Katie will also discuss development work that is currently being planned to expand and improve the plugin and the accompanying Aeon client addon.

Joanne Archer (University of Maryland) will walk through her repository’s decision to use ArchivesSpace and Aeon together.  She will offer insight into the process of integration, including decisions that were made, lessons learned and how integration has made life easier.

A discussion will follow.  Current users of the plugin, as well as those who have integrated Aeon and ArchivesSpace at their own institutions through other workflows, are encouraged to attend and offer insight into their own integrations, lessons learned and plans for the future.  Users who are interested in integrating Aeon and ArchivesSpace are also encouraged to attend and offer insight into their own needs and initial feedback on the proposed plugin improvements.

Questions?

Contact Jessica at jessica.crouch at lyrasis.org if you have questions about this webinar or the Integrations with ArchivesSpace webinar series.

The next Integrations with ArchivesSpace webinar will be: Integrating ArchivesSpace with Archive-It, December 4, 2019, at 2pm ET (11am PT)

Development prioritization survey - respond by November 20

From Lydia Tang and Maggie Hughes, on behalf of the Development Prioritization subteam

The Development Prioritization subteam recently released a prioritization survey, with the goal of informing the Development Prioritization subteam and Program Team of areas of the application that ArchivesSpace member institutions want prioritized for development in the next 2-3 years.

Please share your feedback! https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/WPZYHLX

Please fill out the survey if you have any thoughts on which areas of ArchivesSpace should be prioritized in development. We will be extremely grateful for your participation by Wednesday, November 20.

As always, please feel free to vote, comment, and create JIRA tickets<http://development.archivesspace.org/> with ideas on how to propel the program forward.

Please reach out if you have any questions or concerns!

ArchivesSpace at MARAC

Lora Woodford will be at the Mid-Atlantic Regional Archives Conference in Cambridge, Maryland, November 7-9.  Come find her in the exhibit hall to talk about the ArchivesSpace application, our community activities, membership, and more.

Webinar recordings now available

Thank to everyone who attended our most recent webinars.  Recordings of those webinars are now available on the ArchivesSpace YouTube channel, via the ArchivesSpace blog and via the links below:

Introducing the PBSpace Plugin <https://archivesspace.org/archives/5645> (recorded September 23, 2019)

Integrating ArchivesSpace and Preservica<https://archivesspace.org/archives/5663> (recorded October 1, 2019)

Batch editing barcodes in the ArchivesSpace API<https://archivesspace.org/archives/5672> (recorded October 23, 2019)

Membership Update

We are excited to welcome our newest members to our community! Our new members since September 30  include:

  *   Chinese Historical Society of Southern California  (Los Angeles, CA)
  *   Montgomery County Archives (Clarksville, TN)
  *   Nakanoshima Museum of Art, Osaka (Osaka, Japan)
  *   National Archives of Australia (Canberra, Australia)
  *   New Zealand Institute of Plant and Food Research (Auckland, New Zealand)
  *   University of Colorado, Boulder (Boulder, CA)

As of October 31, we have 406 General members, 19 Educational Program members, and 3 Registered Service Providers. If you are interested in your institution becoming a member of ArchivesSpace, please email us at ArchivesSpaceHome at lyrasis.org<mailto:ArchivesSpaceHome at lyrasis.org> for more information.

ArchivesSpace monthly updates provide news about ArchivesSpace community and program activities and are sent to our member listservs, the ArchivesSpace Google Group, and SAA’s Collection Management Tools Section listserv, as well as being posted on the ArchivesSpace website. Please feel free to share this update with people you know who have an interest in ArchivesSpace but may not be on one of these lists.

Jessica Dowd Crouch
Community Engagement Coordinator for ArchivesSpace
jessica.crouch at lyrasis.org<mailto:jessica.crouch at lyrasis.org>
Skype: jdowdcrouch

[page1image482511520]