[Archivesspace_tac] plugins available for bulk data cleanup of language information/RDE template issue

Christine Di Bella christine.dibella at lyrasis.org
Wed Nov 6 12:31:27 EST 2019

As mentioned in the release announcement for ArchivesSpace v2.7.0, the changes in the languages area will require data cleanup to existing records for some people. Upon upgrade, existing language information is migrated to the new or newly structured fields. While some ways of recording information could be easily accommodated in this migration, because there are so many different ways language information could have been recorded previously, some situations will require data cleanup.

We've put together three plugins that you can use, or use as examples, to handle some common situations. These only run on resource records. They are:

  *   Batch update language and script of description in resource records to one language and/or script of description value: https://github.com/archivesspace-plugins/batch_update_lang_and_script - for cases where all or most of your description is done in one language and script, this will help you do a global or repository-specific update.

  *   Batch update language of materials in resource records currently lacking a controlled value language: https://github.com/archivesspace-plugins/batch_update_langmaterials - for situations where all or most of your materials that do not currently have a language value are in one language, this will help you do a global or repository-specific update.

  *   Batch update language of materials records for resource records currently lacking a controlled value language by matching a text string in a note: https://github.com/archivesspace-plugins/batch_update_langmaterials_from_note - for situations where specific note text can be easily parsed into a controlled value language, this will help you do a targeted update. You will be able to choose whether to keep or delete the notes after running this job.

As with any plugins that change information in records, we strongly recommend you backup your data before running them and review the results in records afterwards before moving on to do more work in your ArchivesSpace. These plugins make changes to your records that cannot be undone, though you can edit individual records or run the plugins again at any point. Once you've run the plugin(s) and are satisfied with the results, you can disable the plugins at any time.

Also, we have been alerted to an issue where previously created RDE templates do not display correctly in v2.7.0 due to the language changes. This will be corrected in the next release, but we are working on a plugin that can provide a fix for people who need it quicker than that. In the interim, feel free to reach out to us if you need guidance on fixing this locally.

We hope these resources are helpful. Please let us know if you need help with them or have other languages-related questions.

Christine

Christine Di Bella
ArchivesSpace Program Manager
christine.dibella at lyrasis.org<mailto:christine.dibella at lyrasis.org>