[Archivesspace_tac] release candidate available - ArchivesSpace v2.6.0-RC1

Christine Di Bella christine.dibella at lyrasis.org
Wed May 15 11:25:07 EDT 2019

Hello ArchivesSpace members,

The ArchivesSpace team is pleased to announce a release candidate, v2.6.0-RC1. You can download it at https://github.com/archivesspace/archivesspace/releases/tag/v2.6.0-RC1 or test it out without downloading at http://test.archivesspace.org/staff (username admin /password admin). We do encourage you to download and try it out with your own local setup and/or data if you can for the most accurate results.

This release candidate contains program-led and community pull requests that provide feature enhancements, bug fixes, infrastructure improvements, and documentation updates. You'll see many small changes to the staff and public interfaces that came out of community-prioritized requests. There is also a significant revamp of how background jobs run, including a new reports page layout. While testing, we highly encourage you to not only check out the new changes, but also to make sure that features you already use are working as intended.

This release candidate also has a new feature guided by a community-initiated and authored specification, the option to generate human-readable URLs for use in the public user interface. Human-readable urls can help improve the user experience and also contribute to Search Engage Optimization (SEO). More information about how human-readable URLs work in ArchivesSpace is available at https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ycNuk86TD9jGHS5YzTw3tjQY3Kuln3F4fvR7kLlfigQ/edit?usp=sharing. I encourage you to contribute ideas and even edits to this documentation while testing human-readable urls. Thanks to Celia Caust-Ellenbogen and Cory Nimer for authoring and circulating the human-readable URLs specification throughout the community last year.

Thanks to the many community members who made contributions to the work reflected in this release candidate, including individual archives staff and developers, our Development Prioritization sub-team, Testing sub-team, Technical Documentation sub-team, and the Core Committers Group.

We'll be collecting feedback through Friday, May 24. Please let us know at ArchivesSpaceHome at lyrasis.org<mailto:ArchivesSpaceHome at lyrasis.org> if you notice any problems with the specific areas addressed in this release, or if anything that was working before no longer is. Barring major issues, we expect to release v2.6.0 by the end of the month.

Christine

Christine Di Bella
ArchivesSpace Program Manager
christine.dibella at lyrasis.org<mailto:christine.dibella at lyrasis.org>