[Archivesspace_tac] ArchivesSpace Update - February 2019

Christine Di Bella christine.dibella at lyrasis.org
Thu Feb 28 17:15:14 EST 2019

[ASpaceOrgHome.jpg]

February 2019 Update
Development

We're working on our next release, which we're aiming to come out in early March. It will include a number of bug fixes and small feature requests, as well as some improvements to our technical documentation and automated tests.

Thanks for all the wonderful community pull requests that have been submitted recently. If you're working on a pull request you'd like to be considered for the next release, please submit it by March 4.

ArchivesSpace is always interested in more development help. Depending on your interest and availability, we have lots of suggestions for projects small and big that developers and tech-savvy archivists of all experience levels could help with to make ArchivesSpace better for everyone. If you're interested in writing code and helping with ArchivesSpace development, or if you know someone who might be, please contact Program Manager Christine Di Bella (christine.dibella at lyrasis.org<mailto:christine.dibella at lyrasis.org>) or Tech Lead Laney McGlohon (laney.mcglohon at lyrasis.org<mailto:laney.mcglohon at lyrasis.org>) for more details.

ArchivesSpace Online Forum - March 18

Registration is opening very soon for our first ever Online Forum, beginning at March 18 at 5:00 p.m. UTC*. Our first event to specifically aim to span the many time zones of our community, this 11-hour ArchivesSpace extravaganza will be divided into three blocks of 3 hours each, with a 1-hour break between each block. As with our in-person forums, our Online Forum will include a mix of opportunities to share and learn from each other about many different aspects of ArchivesSpace. Learn more about the developing program at https://archivesspace.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/ADC/pages/802127927/ASpace+Online+Forum+2019.

As our first online forum, this event will be an experiment and a chance for us to try out some different ways for our community to engage and interact. We anticipate recording many parts of the forum, but for it to be a success we will also need as many live participants as possible. We encourage you to dip in and out of the live program as you much as you can. You will no doubt "meet" a different set of colleagues each time.

* see https://goo.gl/sCKvA9 to find your local time

Follow-up on February 26 Community Discussion About Strategic Directions

Thanks to all who attended our Community Discussion about strategic directions for ArchivesSpace. More than 50 people joined Laurie Gemmill Arp, Director of Collections Services & Community Supported Software at LYRASIS, and Board members Gordon Daines (Brigham Young University), Kat Stefko (Bowdoin College) and Robert Miller (LYRASIS) to suggest and discuss topics for further consideration by the ArchivesSpace Governance Board. The Board appreciates the many thoughtful suggestions and will take them into account as the planning process continues.

A recording of the event is available at https://youtu.be/YbyGIBgWjJY. If you have additional ideas about strategic directions for ArchivesSpace, feel free to get in touch with us at ArchivesSpaceHome at lyrasis.org<mailto:ArchivesSpaceHome at lyrasis.org> or contact a Governance Board representative<https://archivesspace.org/governance-board-and-councils#GovernanceBoard>.

Save the Date: Open Call on Reports - April 3
Please join us at 1:00 p.m. Eastern time on Wednesday, April 3, for an ArchivesSpace open call discussion focused on reports.  The User Advisory Council Reports sub-team is interested in learning about the community's use of the existing reports, use cases, and pain points. The sub-team will use this feedback to inform their next steps. More information with be available closer to the date of the call.
Membership Update

We are excited to welcome our newest members to our community! Our new members since January 31 include:

  *   American Baptist Historical Society (Atlanta, Georgia)
  *   Douglas County Libraries (Castle Rock, Colorado)
  *   Ohio Northern University
  *   Soka University of America (Aliso Viejo, California)
  *   University of Arkansas at Little Rock Center for Arkansas History and Culture
  *   University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill

As of February 28, we have 378 General members, 19 Educational Program members, and 3 Registered Service Providers. If you are interested in your institution becoming a member of ArchivesSpace, please email us at ArchivesSpaceHome at lyrasis.org<mailto:ArchivesSpaceHome at lyrasis.org> for more information.

ArchivesSpace monthly updates provide news about ArchivesSpace community and program activities and are sent to our member listservs, the ArchivesSpace Google Group, and SAA's Collection Management Tools Section listserv, as well as being posted on the ArchivesSpace website. Please feel free to share this update with people you know who have an interest in ArchivesSpace but may not be on one of these lists.