[Archivesspace_small_archives_users_group] ArchivesSpace - Message from the Chair

Quimby, Sean smquimby at upenn.edu
Tue May 31 17:16:27 EDT 2022

Dear ArchivesSpace members,
I am writing to report on the ArchivesSpace Governance Board 4th Quarter meeting, a virtual meeting that was conducted on May 18th.
We reviewed:

  *   an operations report which highlighted the membership renewal process and starting to participate in more in person events
  *   the continued excellent work of TAC and UAC and working to help clarify the relationship between the councils and the board
  *   preparations for the May 27 Governance/Community session to help clarify the governance board’s role and provide opportunities for members to identify their representatives for further engagement. The session was recorded, so please stay tuned for information on how to go back and watch.

The board approved:

  *   A FY22-23 budget focused on supporting the continued growth of the software, paying down technical debt, and fostering community engagement efforts
  *   Training recommendations that move to a communitywide, virtual training model with expanded training offerings
  *   A slate of TAC and UAC appointees.  Look for an announcement from the Nominating Committee soon!

We recognized the election of Julia Novakovic, Senior Archivist, The Strong, representing the small membership level, to serve as the ArchivesSpace Governance Vice Chair effective July 1, 2021. She will then serve as Chair effective July 1, 2022.

This will be my last message to the community as Board Chair as my one-year term ends June 30, 2021.  It has been an honor to serve in this role.  Annie Benefiel from Grand Valley State University will serve as the next Governance Board Chair effective July 1. Thank you, Annie!

As we look ahead to a new membership year, I am excited to see the program continue to grow and foster a strong sense of community among a growing group of users. The Board welcomes your communications and comments on anything mentioned here, or anything else related to ArchivesSpace that is of concern or interest to you.

Kind regards,

Sean Quimby
Past Chair, ArchivesSpace Board of Governance,
Associate University Librarian for Special Collections,
Director of the Jay I. Kislak Center, &
Director of the Schoenberg Institute for Manuscript Studies
University of Pennsylvania Libraries
3420 Walnut Street
Philadelphia, PA 19104-6206