[Archivesspace_small_archives_users_group] ArchivesSpace Update - September 2021

Jessica Crouch Jessica.Crouch at lyrasis.org
Thu Sep 30 09:10:41 EDT 2021

  [cid:image001.jpg at 01D7B5DB.0A8C6F80]

ArchivesSpace Update – September 2021

Development

ArchivesSpace v3.1 is currently available. ArchivesSpace is announcing the availability of v3.1.0. You can download it at https://github.com/archivesspace/archivesspace/releases/.

This release includes a number of accessibility improvements, particularly to the public interface. Many of these were identified in an accessibility audit conducted by Deque across the open source applications that make their homes at LYRASIS, which include DSpace, CollectionSpace, and ArchivesSpace. The release also includes specific bug fixes and small feature improvements prioritized by the Development Prioritization sub-team. There are also additional performance, backend and staff interface improvements from Hudson Molonglo developers James Bullen, Mark Triggs, and Payten Giles that derived from work HM did for Queensland State Archives as part of a larger project.

Thanks to all of our community members who contributed code for this release: Alex Duryee, Andrew Morrison, Dave Mayo, James Bullen, Mark Triggs, Nick Butler, Payten Giles, Sam Hatfield, and Sean Anderson. As always, program team members Lora Woodford, Brian Hoffman, and Mark Cooper, as well as contractors Manny Rodriguez and Brian Zelip, wrote and/or reviewed substantial code for the release. Thanks also to our community groups, especially the Testing sub-team, for their efforts.

Information on upgrading to a new version of ArchivesSpace is available at https://archivesspace.github.io/tech-docs/administration/upgrading.html. If you have any difficulties, please let us know.

This is the spring/summer 2021 release from the roadmap<https://archivesspace.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/ADC/pages/2634973195/Roadmap+as+of+September+2021>. Items that were projected for this release that did not make it in have been shifted to future releases.

Please get in touch if you have any questions. Thanks as always for your feedback and support.

Upcoming Change to the Way ArchivesSpace is Deployed

We wanted to alert you to an upcoming change in the way the ArchivesSpace application is deployed. This change will not be noticeable to end users of the application, but it will affect those that install and maintain it for users.

Background

ArchivesSpace uses Solr<https://solr.apache.org/> for its search platform. Since its original release in 2013, ArchivesSpace has used a version of Solr that can be embedded into the application so that Solr is installed and configured by default when ArchivesSpace is installed. Though most ArchivesSpace deployments opt for this embedded version of Solr, some sites choose to use an external deployment of Solr and maintain it separately from ArchivesSpace.

In its own upgrades over the years, Solr made some changes so that it can no longer be embedded. While we have stayed on the highest embeddable version of Solr (v4.10.4) for years, this version is now old and unsupported by its maintainers, and it is no longer sustainable for us to use it in new releases. In order to maintain and improve this critical piece of ArchivesSpace infrastructure, we need to upgrade Solr. In the process we will need to make the transition to using external Solr only.

What does this mean for me?

Once we make this change, if you are responsible for deploying ArchivesSpace at your institution, you will need to download and install Solr and use ArchivesSpace’s supplied Solr configuration to create the Solr index. This will be in addition to managing your own MySQL database. Solr will no longer be distributed with ArchivesSpace and ArchivesSpace will no longer work out-of-the-box without an external Solr deployment. ArchivesSpace will need to be fully re-indexed when this transition occurs.

If you are not the person responsible for deploying ArchivesSpace at your institution, this change will not directly affect you, though it will be important to make sure the person responsible for deploying your ArchivesSpace is aware of the change.

Will you have strict requirements for how to deploy Solr?

Like with MySQL, the ArchivesSpace team does not intend to be opinionated about how Solr is deployed externally. System administrators will be able to use whatever method they prefer to install Solr. For those who require more guidance, however, we will have instructions for using a standalone Solr installation along with specific ArchivesSpace Solr configuration files. These will be in addition to the standard documentation provided by Solr (https://solr.apache.org/guide/8_9/installing-solr.html).

When will this happen?

We expect to make the transition to external Solr with the release on the roadmap<https://archivesspace.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/ADC/pages/2634973195/Roadmap+as+of+September+2021> that is planned for December 2021. Even so, older versions of ArchivesSpace will continue to work with the embedded Solr that was included with them at the time of their release.

How can I learn more?

We will be providing a number of community education opportunities along with technical documentation beginning later this fall to help people understand what they will need to do to make the changes. These may include webinars, recorded tutorials, Q&A sessions for technical staff, and online documentation. All of these resources will be publicly available to members and non-members. In addition, ArchivesSpace members will be able to access technical support as questions arise as a benefit of their membership.

Thank you for your understanding and cooperation as we continue to work to improve ArchivesSpace for everyone. We look forward to working with you to facilitate this important transition. Please feel free to reach out with any questions or feedback.

Join us for the next ArchivesSpace Trainers Corps Office Hour, Friday, October 8th at 2pm ET/11am PT

The third ArchivesSpace Trainers Corps “Office Hour” will be Friday, October 8th at 2pm ET/11am PT. In these office hours, members of the ArchivesSpace Trainers Corps will demo a task or tool frequently used by ArchivesSpace users and take questions related to the demo and topic.

For this open call, the Trainers Corps will briefly explain how to import archival objects via Excel or CSV using the “Load via Spreadsheet” feature, which became available in ArchivesSpace beginning with v2.8.0.  (This feature was formerly known as the Harvard import plugin<https://github.com/harvard-library/aspace-import-excel>; those using ArchivesSpace v2.7 or earlier can still access it via the plugin.)  Following the presentation, you will have the opportunity to ask questions about the topic, followed by a general Q&A about migration tools and data maps<https://archivesspace.org/using-archivesspace/migration-tools-and-data-mapping>. If you would like to suggest a topic for a future “Office Hour,” you can do so at https://forms.gle/unz3GmAbWwvpHjSr7.

ArchivesSpace Trainers Corps “Office Hour”