[Archivesspace_small_archives_users_group] ArchivesSpace 1st Quarter Board Update

Nicholas Zmijewski zmijewski at industrialarchives.org
Mon Oct 5 15:42:52 EDT 2020

Dear ArchivesSpace members,

As the new chair of the ArchivesSpace Governance Board, I am writing to report on the ArchivesSpace Governance Board 1st Quarter meeting, a call that was held September 17, 2020.
We were pleased to welcome new board member Annie Benefiel, University Archivist and Digital Collections Librarian from Grand Valley State University. She has joined the board for a three-year term beginning this year, representing the medium-sized member institutions.
The operations report highlighted active participation by members in many community events, including the online annual member forum, as well as other support and resources that have been especially important to members during the COVID-19-related lockdown.  We also discussed some next steps for the many antiracism and inclusion ideas community members suggested during community discussions and feedback opportunities held during the summer.
The financial reports show that the program’s financial position continues to be strong.
Kat Stefko is now the board liaison to both the Technical and User Advisory Councils.  We were pleased to have UAC Chair Brittany Newberry and TAC Chair Trevor Thornton join the board meeting to hear more about their work, especially the increased cross-council collaboration at both the leadership level and the sub-team level.
John Wilkin let the ArchivesSpace board know that at the end of FY 20/21, the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign (UIUC) will conclude their role as a founding partner and will no longer be an ArchivesSpace member.  This change is driven by UIUC’s commitment to incorporate their archival information and workflows into the UIUC microservices-based repository Medusa and comes with full support for the continued success of ArchivesSpace.  Through their work on the Mellon Foundation grant that established ArchivesSpace, UIUC, along with NYU and UC San Diego, established the founding partner concept to allow for fiscal stability, governance, and leadership while the program grew. The Board expressed its thanks to John Wilkin for his long-standing service and to UIUC for serving ArchivesSpace through the early years of the program and our transition to a sustainable community.  Over the next year the ArchivesSpace Board will explore any needed changes for Bylaws.

As always, the Board welcomes your feedback. Feel free to reach out directly to me or to your elected representative. On a personal note, I am pleased to be working with you as Governance Board chair this year.  While this year is vastly different than what I thought it might be when I was elected, I look forward to the next steps we take together to continue to make ArchivesSpace the best possible program and community it can be.

Respectfully,
Nick Zmijewski