[Archivesspace_member_match] Processing Guide examples

Regina Carra rcarra at folkartmuseum.org
Thu Nov 4 15:50:51 EDT 2021

 Hi everyone,

Thank you to everyone who came to the Member Match event today about user
documentation. I thought I would continue the conversation by sharing the
Processing Guide/User Doc I use at the American Folk Art Museum (AFAM).
Hopefully the following link works *fingers crossed*:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1up57ynqfWDoVTafuzTkxx9QtOxN_6bre/edit?usp=sharing&ouid=109609170511083051996&rtpof=true&sd=true

As I mentioned during the event, our guide is a Processing
Guide/ArchivesSpace Guide/How-to manual/Educational Resource. Interns and
volunteers are its primary audience. I consult it occasionally, and
certainly relied on it when I began at the Museum about two years ago. I
would describe AFAM as a very generic ArchivesSpace user -- we don't do a
lot of fancy stuff with the application outside of cataloging and
importing/exporting data. I am a lone-arranger, so it's just me and my
interns/volunteers that use the staff interface of ArchivesSpace.

I am currently in the process of evaluating this guide with the help of a
graduate student intern. The guide hasn't been updated since AFAM began its
Archives program in earnest circa 2014-2015. As you can imagine, a lot has
changed since then. My sense is that this guide was created initially to
fill the need of having some general guidelines in place at a time when the
Archives program was brand new. It has served us very well, but now that
the AFAM Archives is more set in its ways, it's a good time to rethink
whether this guide is helpful and accurate based on our current work. And I
can say it has been so helpful to have a student look at the guide and give
me her perspective as someone who is not immersed in the AFAM Archives like
I am. If you are the person tasked with writing the guide, I highly
recommend having different users read it and try to follow along. You might
be surprised by what they find useful or confusing.

Feel free to email me if you have any questions. And feel free to respond
with your own User Doc examples!
Thanks,
Regina

--
*Regina Carra **(she/her/hers)*
Rapaport Archivist

*https://folkartmuseum.org/ <https://folkartmuseum.org/>*
Administrative Office, Archives, and Collection Center
47-29 32nd Place
Long Island City, NY 11101