[Archivesspace_api_doc_adhoc] Some updates for /users/ endpoints

David W. Hodges dwh2128 at columbia.edu
Tue Oct 20 14:46:21 EDT 2020

Hi all. I made my way through the routes related to user
management (users.rb), starting at row 257 of the spreadsheet. I staged my
changes in a branch here:

https://github.com/dwhodges2/archivesspace/blob/dh-docs-fixes/backend/app/controllers/users.rb

I tested the existing shell scripts and added ASnake examples where I could
(see below). I have a few questions/observations:

   1. I am not sure I understand the distinction between "system" vs.
   "local" users. One route says "create a local user" and another says "get a
   list of system users" but they are hitting the same list as far as I can
   tell. Is this a meaningful distinction, or can we just simplify both to
   "users"?
   2. "Update a user’s groups": I'm not able to confirm this route works.
   We have users assigned to groups in AS but when I pull any user's info it
   has groups = []. So I wasn't able to construct or test any examples. Is
   something deprecated here, or can someone point me to relevant info?
   3. Should the "log in" route just refer users to the authentication
   section? Seems redundant and less informative here.
   4. I was unable to work with "become a different user" in either shell
   or Python. I'm wondering what use case there would be for this, as opposed
   to just authenticating as a different user. In any case, I left it as it is
   for now but I think the default shell example needs to be tweaked as I
   couldn't get it to work.
   5. I was not able to figure out Python examples for these:
   • "Get a user’s details including their groups for the current
   repository"
   • "Create a local user"
   Someone more adept at ASnake could maybe weigh in (I don't use it in
   production at the moment).

Dave, should I create a PR for the branch above? Or let me know what the
next step should be. Any feedback would be much appreciated. I replicated
these notes in the spreadsheet FYI.

Thanks,
David

--