[Archivesspace_api_doc_adhoc] Digging in!

David W. Hodges dwh2128 at columbia.edu
Tue Jan 21 09:57:51 EST 2020

Hi all. I finally blocked some time over the weekend to try to get started
with this. After spending more time than I'd like to admit getting the doc
build process to work, I'm finally good to go. For anyone having problems
getting set up (and to remind myself later), I'm documenting what worked
for me on Mac OS (10.13), herewith:

   1. I had the wrong version of Java, but to get Java 8 installed while
   leaving my later version intact I installed jenv <http://www.jenv.be/>.
   This isn't essential but simplifies switching between Java versions for
   projects.
   2. Java 8 is seemingly tricky to install as is no longer supported by
   Oracle. Thankfully there is OpenJDK
   <https://github.com/AdoptOpenJDK/homebrew-openjdk>.
   3. Initial setup:
      1. git clone https://github.com/archivesspace/archivesspace.git
      2. cd archivesspace
      3. build/run bootstrap
      4. build/run db:migrate
      5. cd docs/slate/
      6. gem install bundler --version '< 2.0'
      7. bundle install --binstubs
      8. cd ../..
      9. build/run backend:test -Dspec='documentation_spec.rb'
   4. Building the docs
      1. build/run doc:build
      1. *This produced an error:  [java] RuntimeError: unknown file type:
         ./tech_docs/development/license_agreements/. I'm not sure why
this document
         doesn't exist in the repo, but I was able to bypass the problem by
         commenting out two lines in scripts/pull_tech_docs.rb that reference
         license_agreements. Is this a known issue?*
      2. cd docs/slate   *[This was described as "cd docs/build" in Dave's
      instructions, but I did not find any "build" directory. Middleman is in
      "docs/slate/bin" in my install.]*
      3. ./bin/middleman build
      4. ./bin/middleman server
      1. (view API at http://localhost:4567. If that port is in use, add
         --port=4568 or other available port.)

Next I'll take a look at the routes and try to assess what I could
reasonably work on in the near future.

David

David W. Hodges
Special Collections Analyst